Bachelor of Science (teaching certification in grades 7-12 available)
At a Glance
Unearth your potential in UWG's Geosciences department, which offers students recently renovated laboratories, state-of-the-art environmental and analytical equipment and the chance to work with expert faculty on a variety of independent research projects to be presented at state, regional and national meetings. In fact, our Geosciences majors have won 20 of the last 25 "best paper" awards in the Geology Division of the Georgia Academy of Sciences. With their degree, students are prepared to tackle work in coastline erosion, climate change and mass extinction and the environmental history of our planet.
Why should I choose UWG's Earth Science program?
- UWG's BS in Earth Science is the only one of its type in the state.
- This program prepares students to teach high school Earth Systems Science, which is a new course in the state high school curriculum.
- Students receive a solid foundation in geology, supplemented by other Earth Science courses necessary for teaching in high school.
- Earth Science students also complete the requirements for teaching certification and are ready to begin teaching high school.
Are there any special opportunities available?
- Eligibility for Geoscience Department scholarships.
- Opportunity to join the Geoscience Club, which sponsors social events, field trips and other projects.
- Opportunities to research with faculty members.
What can I do after graduation, graduate school and job-wise?
- Teaching in high schools, junior high schools and middle schools
- Further Education
- Master’s Degree in Science Education
- Educational Specialist Degrees in Science Education
What kind of student organizations, clubs or honorary societies can I join?
What kind of facilities and equipment will be made available to me?
- GIS laboratory has computers with up-to-date software
- Research instrumentation includes a scanning electron microscope, X-ray diffractometer, ion chromatograph and ICP spectrophotometer
Does the faculty specialize in certain areas?