Guidance and Counseling
Master of Education, Specialist in Education
Concentration: School counseling, Community counseling
- The Department was one of six universities in the nation to receive a grant from the Wallace Reader’s Digest Fund to transform the work of school counselors.
- Department was honored by the Education Trust as a national leader and innovator in counseling.
- Several Graduate Research Assistantships
- Professional counselors in schools, community agencies and colleges/universities
- Chi Sigma Iota (national honor society in counseling)
- LPCA Student Affiliate Organization (state counseling organization)
- Faculty are nationally known researchers and counselor educators.
- Cognitive psychology and its implications for effective teaching and learning.
- Cognitive-behavior therapy.
- Solution-focused brief counseling.
- Disc behavioral styles instruments and their applications.
- Leadership development in counselors.
- Uses of technology in counselor education.
- Ethical and legal issues in counseling and psychotherapy.
- School, community, rehabilitation and mental health counseling.
- Counselor supervision.