Response for Faculty and Staff Distress
Contact University Police at (678) 839-6000 if on campus
Call 911 off campus.
Crisis: In an immediate emergency situation in which employee poses a direct threat to themselves or others contact University Police immediately at (678) 839-6000 if on campus or 911 if off campus and allow them to transport the person to the nearest Emergency Room. They are trained to supervise an individual who could harm self or others.
Other suggestions for dealing with suicidal or dangerous faculty and staff:
- Remain with person or have someone stay with them until University Police arrive
- Remain calm while talking to person
- Talk with person openly about their intentions of harm including asking person if they want to harm themselves or another person and if they have a plan
- Provide information you have to police upon arrival
Non-Crisis: If you are concerned about a faculty or staff person, but need assistance in assessing the degree of risk, you may call:
- Patient/Victim Advocate at Health Services at 678-839-0641/5338 (if no answer at either number, call the main line at 678-838-6452 and tell the receptionist that you have an emergency and need to speak to a Patient/Victim Advocate).
- Tanner Employee Assistance at (770) 834-8327 between 8:30am and 5:00pm. More information about Tanner EAP is online at http://www.tanner.org/Main/EmployeeAssistance.aspx
- Counseling and Career Development Center at (678) 839-6428 and ask to speak to a counselor.
WHAT TO DO FOR ALCOHOL POISONING
- Person is passed out and cannot be awakened.
- Person has cold, clammy or blush skin color
- Person as slow or irregular breaths: -less than 8 times per minute or
-more than 10 seconds in between breaths
- Person is vomiting and does not wake up
IF ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS EXIST, CALL FOR HELP IMMEDIATELY!
IF YOUR FRIEND IS INTOXICATED
- Get your friend to a safe place.
- Do not leave your friend alone; monitor breathing.
- Turn your friend on his/her side to prevent choking.
- Check for signs of alcohol poisoning.
IF YOU'RE NOT SURE IF YOUR FRIEND NEEDS HELP, CALL 911.
If you or someone you know has a problem with alcohol, you can get help by contacting Tanner Employee Assistance at (770) 834-8327.
In the event that an employee passes or experiences a major crisis that could impact the department, managers should first contact Tanner Employee Assistance at (770) 834-8327. The Tanner Staff will provide group and individual assistance to employees.
Managers can also contact Counseling and Career Development Center at (678) 839-6428, located on campus, as a short-term, immediate response to help employees stabilize and link to resources.
If you are being harassed, threatened or assaulted at work, do the following:
• Report harassment to Human Resources at (678) 839- 6403 and appropriate management.
• Report imminent danger or threats to University Police at (678) 839-6000 if on campus and 911 if off campus.