Accounting Career Opportunities
Accounting & Auditing Services | Business Controls | Tax Services | Financial Services | Information Systems Technology | |Employee Benefit Programs | Business Reengineering | Outsourcing | Corporate Finance | Marketing & Distribution | Legal Services | Litigation Support | Other
Accounting and Auditing Services (top)
- Year end audit. This may include assisting the client in calculating the amount of the income taxes owed, valuing stock options and other stock compensation arrangements under FAS 123, and drafting and typing the financial statements.
- Review of interim (monthly, quarterly) financial statements.
- Compilation of financial statements.
- Bookkeeping services (some firms offer this as a computer bookkeeping service).
- Valuations of derivatives at fair market value for accounting purposes.
- Assistance in preparation of and review of filings with the SEC, including initial public offerings.
- Underwriter comfort letters for SEC and non-SEC filings.
- Audit of Management's Discussion and Analysis in SEC filings.
- Agreed-upon procedures engagements (the client and auditor agree to procedures the auditor is to perform with respect to tasks such as testing a royalty arrangement or compliance with a loan
agreement, and the auditor then issues a report on his or her findings).
- Audit or review of financial forecasts or projections. This includes such documents included in offering memoranda.
- Providing advice on how to interpret new accounting pronouncements, including providing sample journal entries.
- Audits of financial statements of pension plan financial statements.
- Director examinations of financial institutions.
- CPA WebTrust - an engagement to review the security of a company's website that is conducting electronic commerce over the internet.
- Assisting international companies in conforming their financial reporting to U.S. financial reporting practices (GA AP conversions).
- Technical opinions on accounting matters to clients of other accounting firms.
Business Controls (top)
- Ethics and Responsible Business Practices - a service that helps clients address the sources of internal wrongdoing and eliminate barriers to responsible business practices.
- Evaluation, design and implementation of internal accounting and financial reporting controls, policies and procedures.
- Evaluation, design and implementation of management and business controls over various business functions such as management reporting, systems, research and development, etc.
- Examinations of internal controls.
- Business Fraud and Investigation Services - helps companies identify, manage and minimize integrity risks, such as suspected management or alleged employee fraud.
Tax Services (top)
- Preparation of federal and state individual income tax returns.
- Preparation of federal and state corporation tax returns.
- Individual and corporate tax planning (including federal, state, and local taxes).
- Personal financial planning for individuals including client employees and executives.
- Income tax planning for executives including employee compensation and benefit plans (see below).
- Investment planning.
- Programs for planning for college.
- Retirement planning programs.
- Estate planning including preparation of wills, trusts, etc.
- Representation of clients in tax negotiations and disputes with the IRS.
- Review of property tax assessments.
- Succession planning.
- Serve as or provide tax advice to executors and trustees.
- Tax credit reviews to determine maximum allowable credits (e.g., research and development credits).
- Trade and customs services - ensures compliance with trade laws and regulations while trying to avoid, reduce, or defer overall customs duties.
- Transfer pricing studies and evaluation, documentation, and modification of existing policies.
- Valuation services.
- VAT Services.
Financial Services (top)
- Treasury management services including design, development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Credit management services including design, development and implementation of credit policies and procedures.
- Design and structuring of financial instruments.
- Assisting investment banking firms with the designs of financial instruments and financing transactions.
- Assistance with finding/identifying equity parties or financial parties.
- Identification and selection of banks.
- Assistance with or preparation of financing and loan applications.
- Loan review services.
- Regulatory advisory services.
Information Systems Technology (top)
1. Selection of new hardware and software systems. This may include activities such as performing a "needs analysis," preparation of a request for proposals, and overseeing, assistance with, or
performance of demonstrations.
2. Implementation of new hardware and software systems. This may include:
- Full on-site team to perform all implementation services.
- Project administration of another consulting team.
- Development of necessary manual and computer control systems.
- Providing necessary computer programmers.
- Software design and programming.
- Ongoing support functions.
3. Consulting on Y2 K issues such as:
- Inventory of Y2K system problems.
- Development of Y2K remedial program.
4. Development of IT management and/or strategic plans.
5. Evaluation and selection of telephone systems.
6. Business continuity planning and information security services.
7. Application controls consulting.
8. Electronic commerce services.
9. Reporting on the Processing of Transactions by Service Organizations.
Employee Benefit Programs (top)
1. Designing and developing employee compensation programs including:
. stock option programs.
. retirement plans.
. executive compensation arrangements.
. deferred compensation and bonus arrangements.
Business Reengineering (top)
1. Benchmarking of best practices including business and financial reporting practices.
2. Reengineering of business processes including:
- manufacturing processes.
- research and development processes.
- review of spending levels (e.g., for general and administrative expenses).
- plant layout and design.
3. Review of manual processes that feed into computerized information systems.
4. Staff reduction programs.
Outsourcing of such client functions as:
1. Information systems. This may include outsourcing the management or the entire data processing and information systems group.
2. Internal audit function.
3. Tax department.
4. Office of the Chief Financial Officer.
5. Accounting department.
6. Human resource department.
7. Risk management function.
Corporate Finance (top)
1. Deal due diligence.
2. Candidate targeting.
3. Preparation of offering memorandums.
4. Lead advisor for private placements.
5. Merger transaction advice on:
- Structuring of transactions.
- Tax implications.
- Sourcing capital.
- Preparation of proformal financial statements and projections.
- Reengineering acquired businesses.
- Cost reduction and synergistic studies.
6. Appraisal and valuation of target assets, including receivables, inventories, property, plant and equipment, intangible assets, and in-process research and development.
7. Fairness opinions.
8. In some foreign jurisdictions, the 1ums act as stock transfer agents.
9. “Turnaround" business advisors.
Marketing and Distribution (top)
1. Evaluation of marketing and distribution channels.
2. Development of marketing and distribution channel plans and consulting on the implementation of such plans.
Legal Services (top)
1. Corporate and commercial legal services to national and international companies worldwide.
2. Assistance to law departments and general counsel to enhance and measure performance.
Litigation Support (top)
1. Case management.
2. Expert accounting and Financial reporting witnesses.
3. Damages experts and witnesses.
4. Environmental litigation experts.
5. Securities litigation experts.
6. Antitrust services.
7. Construction disputes.
8. Analysis of detailed data to provide cost-effective, proactive strategies and solutions to complex business disputes.
1. Government Contract Consulting - helps companies understand and address business risks associated with negotiating, contracting with, and performing under contracts for the sale of goods
or services with U.S. federal, state, local and foreign governments.
2. Advise government entities that are privatizing on commercialization, restructuring, competition, changing organization attitudes, customer satisfaction and policy adjustment; provides other grantaided
work in emerging markets.
3. Real estate - provides advice about increasing the profitability of real estate assets through the acquisition, development, management and disposition of single assets or portfolios of properties.
Services also include strategic planning, consolidation studies, surplus property planning, valuations, and outsourcing consulting.
4. Services for middle-sized companies - includes cash management, payroll needs, business relocation services, and shareholder meetings.
5. Insolvency/executory services - acting as receivers, liquidators, bankruptcy trustees, or advisors to debtor or creditor groups.
6. Specific services for health insurers and other health care organizations.