Tailgating Policies and Procedures
Tailgating has long been a tradition with sporting events, especially on the collegiate level. Nothing is better than gathering with other Wolves fans, fellow classmates, alumni, friends, or family before home athletic events.
Tailgating is permitted on campus in parking lots and green space in and around campus buildings. Please follow all guidelines related to food/grilling, clean-up and risk management policies. For the purpose of this policy, consumption of alcohol is governed by procedures described in Section 5 of this policy.
Tailgating is a lively and family-friendly environment. While we want you to have an exciting experience, we ask that you be respectful of those surrounding you, being mindful of your choice of language and activity. Groups are personally responsible for making sure their guests act appropriately. Individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a manner respectful of the nature and character of the university. Persons acting in a disruptive, disrespectful or disorderly manner may be asked to leave the premises or be subject to citation. Students may also be charged with a violation of the Code of Student Conduct. Please keep all music and audio at a volume level that is respectful of your tailgating neighbors. We want the tailgating experience to be enjoyed by all.
A. Athletics Complex (Football, Softball, Soccer)
The University of West Georgia invites and encourages our fans to enjoy a great tailgate atmosphere prior to each Wolves’ home intercollegiate game. Tailgating in designated parking spaces, which limit other spaces from being occupied by a vehicle, is not permitted. Tailgating in any traffic lanes or pedestrian pathways is not permitted.
Tailgating is permitted on days of home football games and is for the exclusive use of those fans attending the games. The University will permit tailgating activities in designated areas, intended to give football fans the opportunity to arrive early, park, and have their own food and beverages (including alcoholic beverages if they wish) prior to each game. The following guidelines have been formulated and will be in effect for your health and safety.
“The Hill” Pre-Game Student Experience
The University of West Georgia is proud to offer “The Hill,” presented by Academy Sports, for the pre-game enjoyment of all current UWG students. “The Hill” overlooks the SE corner of University Stadium and allows all students to come together as one to enjoy live entertainment, complimentary food and drink, giveaways, and activities designed to enhance the game day experience for UWG students in attendance at UWG football contests. “The Hill” is easily accessed from the UWG student shuttle disembark point at University Stadium and provides equally as easy access to the Student Zone seating sections at University Stadium as “The Hill” concludes operation 30 minutes prior to each kickoff. UWG students must present current student ID to enter “The Hill.”
- Opening/Closing: Tailgating areas will typically open for individuals to enter the Athletic Complex 5 hours prior to kick off on the day of the game “The Hill” Student Pre-Game Experience will open 2 hours prior to kickoff of each game, overlooking the SE Corner of University Stadium. All tailgating activity is to be completed within 2 hours of the conclusion of each athletic event on the specific date of the tailgating function. Stadium public bathrooms will not be accessible until the ticket gates open 90 minutes prior to kick-off. A limited number of portable toilets will be on site.
- Tents: Tents with stakes shorter than 12-inches may be set up at any time prior to kickoff. Permits are required for any tent with stakes that are 12-inches or longer. Tent permit requests may be obtained from UWG Athletics at 678-839-6533.
B. Coliseum and Cole Field
Tailgating for basketball and baseball is permitted in parking lots and green space in around these facilities. All general polices, procedures and guidelines are to be followed.
Please keep UWG beautiful by placing all trash and recycling in the proper bins located throughout the tailgate areas, RV lots, and facilities for your convenience. All groups are responsible for making sure their assigned tailgating area is cleaned prior to departing for the game.
- All trash/recyclable items must be picked up and sorted into proper receptacles. This includes trash around your assigned area. Trash should be closed in bags or trash containers.
- The University of West Georgia is a tobacco-free campus. The use of any tobacco product on campus is prohibited.
- All leftover food/beverages must be placed in proper containers and stored.
- All clean-up procedures must be completed before entering the stadium.
Tailgating spaces not completely cleaned prior to departure from UWG property could result in the loss of future tailgate privileges.
Groups may bring their own picnic items and food to their tailgate area. Grilling permitted, but all grills must be elevated. All fires must be contained within grills. Extinguish charcoal fires thoroughly with water before leaving them unattended. Please remove extinguished charcoal from campus for disposal. Do not dump charcoal on the ground or in dumpsters. Please be advised that grilling may be prohibited in a time of drought or extremely dry conditions. Should this be a consideration, proper announcements will be made on University websites and in the local media during the week preceding an affected game date. UWG Athletics is working with its Corporate Partners to provide food and beverages at “The Hill” Student Pre-Game Experience (stadium only) for those who do not have a means of providing their own.
Groups tailgating must follow these risk management policies:
- Do not transport individuals in the back of trucks. Nor should persons be allowed to stand in or on the vehicles.
- Have food available to avoid the effects of drinking alcohol beverages on an empty stomach.
- Provide plenty of non-alcoholic beverages. If alcoholic beverages are present, designate at least one member of the group as the “designated tailgater” so they can monitor those who may over indulge.
- Educate ALL group members and guests about the tailgate policies.
- Contact University Police (678-839-6000) for all emergencies.
D. BBQ Bays
The University of West Georgia has constructed BBQ Bays for the convenience of groups wishing to pull a grill, on its own axle system, behind a vehicle for tailgating enjoyment prior to a UWG Wolves football game. Currently 18 of these bays exist in an area adjacent to Lot A of the UWG Athletic Complex. Each bay can be reserved for a reservation fee of $150.00, which includes the purchase of 10 tickets to the game being played on the date of the secured reservation. A season reservation may be secured by a group to reserve a specific bay for each game of the football season. This reservation fee for the 2014 football season, with 6 home games on the schedule, is $800 and includes the purchase of 10 game tickets for each game on the 2014 Wolves home football schedule. Individuals or groups wishing to secure reservations of this type must complete the attached reservation form and submit as directed. Questions regarding current UWG student organizations in this regard should be directed to UWG Athletics at 678-839-6533.
In accordance with the University of West Georgia’s Alcohol Policy, tailgating with alcohol is only allowed at major events which are designated by the president on an annual basis. Participants in tailgating parties are expected to follow all relevant laws and policies, including not serving alcohol to anyone under 21 years of age, not giving alcoholic beverages to any obviously intoxicated person, and not driving while intoxicated.
Consumption of alcohol outside designated areas and/or time periods constitutes a violation of The University of West Georgia tailgating policy. Violators are subject to prosecution under the University of West Georgia Code of Student Conduct, and/or the laws of the City of Carrollton and Carroll County, and the laws of the State of Georgia. Any participant who consumes alcoholic beverages at such events must be able to produce a valid driver’s license or other photo ID that reflects the person’s age upon request.
Alcohol will be permitted in the tailgating area. Groups are responsible for making sure only those who are 21 years of age or older consume alcohol. All beverages, including alcohol, must be in opaque cups. All alcoholic beverages must remain in coolers or closed containers.
- Kegs and other common containers are not allowed at any time.
- Glass containers are not allowed except to hold alcohol in its original bottled package in your cooler or closed container.
- Drinking games (included but not limited to beer pong), and the use of devices intended to accelerate the consumption of alcohol (including but not limited to funnels or beer bongs) are prohibited.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages on any other part of the campus or on public streets that run through or are adjacent to the campus is prohibited.
- No food may be sold without proper University permit (Auxiliary Services).
- Propane and charcoal grills are the only permissible sources of heat for cooking. Burned coals and/or residue from cooking may not be permitted to make contact with the paved surface of the parking lot. Hot coals must be completely extinguished with water prior to leaving the tailgating site.
- Open flame fires, including fire pits, are prohibited.
- No sales activities or solicitation are allowed on the University campus, including any/all tailgating areas, without permission from the appropriate University office, i.e. Auxiliary Services.
- Only Auxiliary Services or their designated representatives will be allowed to sell merchandise.
The University of West Georgia and your UWG Wolves thank you for your attendance, support and cooperation. These guidelines were established for the safety and enjoyment of all fans. They are intended to provide an opportunity for everyone to come out early and have small, social gatherings. Enjoy the game and please be respectful of all other fans. Thank you!