Specific Requirements for a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree
- A minimum of 126 total semester hours of academic college courses in one of the Department of Art programs. The program includes 42 semester hours in the University Core Curriculum and 18 semester hours in the departmental core.15 semester hours in the departmental studio core, 6 hours of 3000 or above Art History, and 45 semester hours in the departmental concentration and electives.
**(Exception- BFA in Art -Art Education requires a minimum of 132 total semester hours of academic college courses in the Department of Art program. The program includes 42 semester hours in the University Core Curriculum, 18 semester hours in the departmental core, 15 semester hours in the departmental studio core, 6 hours of 3000 or above Art History, 27 semester hours in the departmental concentration, and 24 hours in Professional Education. Admission to the Art Education Major requires a minimum GPA of 2.7, departmental approval, Admission to the Teacher Education program and a minimum GPA of 2.7 (including courses in the Core Curriculum transferred from other institutions). Satisfactory completion of the GACE Content Assessments in Art is required for Georgia Teacher Certification.)
- A minimum of 60 semester hours in courses numbered 3000 or above. Forty-one to sixty of these hours must be in the Department of Art and as specified by areas of concentration. Twenty-one of these hours must be taken at West Georgia. Also nine hours in the area of concentration must be taken at West Georgia.
- Thirty semester hours must be completed in residence. Eighteen of these hours must be in the senior year.
- Attain a minimum overall institutional grade point average of 2.5 and a grade point average of 3.0 in the courses used to satisfy the BFA degree requirements.
- Satisfactorily complete Political Science 1101 and History 2111 or 2112. Exemption from history may be earned by passing appropriate tests.
- Not more than twenty-seven semester hours of the program may be done by extension or correspondence. Not more than twenty-seven semester hours may be completed at off-campus sites.
- During the completion of the final year, BFA candidates will successfully present a portfolio of work and BFA Thesis exhibition. This exhibition and portfolio will be reviewed by a BFA committee selected by the candidate and should demonstrate to that committee the candidate's professional competence within the area of concentration. The Candidate will then have orals exam with the selected committee.
- Courses of variable credit must be taken for three hours per semester, with a Minimum of fifteen credits in area of concentration. Students wishing to take courses for less than 3 credit hours must obtain prior approval from the Department Chair.
- Independent studies or directed readings may be taken toward the fulfillment of degree requirements only after a candidate has successfully completed at least one advance course in the area of concentration and only with the faculty permission.
- Courses may be substituted for listed required courses with prior approval and permission of the Department Chair
- There is no Physical Education requirement, and Physical Education classes will not count as electives