Specific Requirements, Bachelor of Music in Performance: Emphasis in Jazz Studies
OPTIONS: Woodwind, Brass, & Percussion; Keyboard, String & Guitar
- Ensemble Requirement
- Woodwind, brass, and percussion instrumentalists pursuing the Performance major with Emphasis in Jazz Studies must be in Wind Ensemble, Symphony Band, or Marching Band for the first 4 semesters offered. At least one semester of Marching Band is required. Thereafter, these students enroll in Jazz Ensemble and are encouraged to perform in more than one ensemble per semester.
- Keyboard, string, and guitar students pursuing the Performance major with Emphasis in Jazz Studies must be in Wind Ensemble, Symphony Band, Marching Band, or Concert Choir for the first 4 semesters offered. Thereafter, these students enroll in Jazz Ensemble and are encouraged to perform in more than one ensemble per semester.
- Principal-Applied Requirements
- Students must register for MUSC 2600 Principal Applied (the principal performing instrument or voice) each term offered for a minimum of 8 credit hours and until passage of the level-change examination. Thereafter, the student must enroll in MUSC 4600 each term offered until a minimum of 10 credit hours has been earned. All credits earned in Principal Applied must be on a single instrument.
- Students must attend Principal-Applied seminars, master classes, recitals, and studio classes as part of the MUSC 1000 requirement.
- Solo Public Performances in Principal-Applied area: Freshman year (1), Sophomore year (2), Junior year (3), and Senior year (3).
- The Performance major with Emphasis in Jazz Studies requires a Half Recital (20-30 minutes of music) during the junior year and a Full Recital (40-60 minutes of music) during the senior year, each based on studies in Principal Applied. Half Recitals exceeding 30 minutes of music must be approved by the hearing committee. Successful completion of MUSC 4941 Half Recital is a prerequisite for permission to enroll in MUSC 4942 Full Recital. Half and Full degree recitals must be auditioned for approval by a faculty committee. In addition, students must perform a Jazz Recital (20-30 minutes) during the senior year consisting of jazz compositions and improvisations on the principal-applied instrument, including original compositions written in MUSC 4311 Jazz Composition and Arranging.