Federal Ford Direct Stafford Student Loan
The Federal Ford Direct Stafford Student Loan program is designed to help students who may not qualify for other forms of financial aid. Students may borrow from the federal government at a simple interest rate which is fixed. To qualify and receive a Federal Ford Direct Stafford Loan, students must:
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (www.fafsa.ed.gov).
- Be accepted as a regular or provisional graduate student
- Be accepted by the College of Education for certification
- Be at least a half-time student. (6 hours for certification, provisional, or 5 hours regular graduate)
- Maintain satisfactory progress in pursuing a degree as explained above.
- Certification students must be enrolled in 6 credit hours listed on their programs sheets
- A process and handling fee is deducted from the borrowed amount by the Direct Loan program.
- Exit information sessions must be completed for those graduating, transferring schools, or withdrawing from school. Students are notified when logged in through the secure BanWeb student information system and by mail if an exit information sessions is needed.
- Annual loan limits, listed below, cannot exceed the cost of education.
- Complete two loan requirements: Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling Session. Both can be completed through BanWeb. Students are notified via MyUWG e-mail when these sessions must be completed.
More information is available on the loan program on the Financial Aid web site at www.westga.edu/finaid/ or www.dlservicer.ed.gov.
Students admitted as post-baccalaureate (non-degree) are not eligible for federal aid. A student may borrow up to $138,500 for combined graduate and undergraduate studies.