Department of Educational Leadership and Professional Studies
Ed. Annex 137 •678-839-6557
The College of Education is reorganizing and departmental names and locations will be changed during the 2010-2011 academic year. Please check the College of Education web site for updates.
D. Hoff, C. Mertler, K. Metcalf, R. Morris
L. Cornelius, M. Gantner (Chair), C. Hendricks, A. Packard
M. Coleman,M. Dam, M. Hooper, B. Kawulich, A. Nixon, T. Peterson
Programs of the department are expected to develop and enhance the capabilities of candidates to:
- Facilitate a continuous change process to improve the education of students through facilitating the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a shared school or system vision of learning supported by the school community.
- Promote a positive school culture, providing an effective instructional program based on Georgia standards, applying research based best practice to student learning, and designing comprehensive professional growth plans for staff.
- Implement a continuous organizational improvement approach to developing and managing the organization, operations, and resources as prescribed in Georgia law, rules and regulations and in a way that contains costs and maximizes benefits for candidates, parents and taxpayers.
- Collaborate with families and other community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs, managing conflict and mobilizing community resources.
- Act with integrity, fairness, and in a legal and ethical manner based on a knowledge and understanding of state and federal laws, regulations and judicial decisions affecting education in Georgia.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and develop skills to positively influence the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context surrounding education.
- Synthesize and apply the knowledge and practice and develop the skills identified above through substantial, sustained, standards-based work in real settings.