Specific Requirements, Bachelor of Music in Performance
OPTION: Keyboard EMPHASIS: Piano Pedagogy
- Ensemble Requirement
Keyboard students pursuing the Performance major must be in Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Symphony Band, or Concert Choir for the first 4 semesters offered. Thereafter, these students enroll in at least one ensemble every semester offered (with the possible exception of the semester of, or immediately prior to, the full recital).
- Principal-Applied Requirements
- Students must register for MUSC 2600 Principal Applied (the principal performing instrument or voice) each term offered for a minimum of 8 credit hours and until passage of the level-change examination. Thereafter, the student must enroll in MUSC 4600 each term offered until a minimum of 10 credit hours has been earned. All credits earned in Principal Applied must be on a single keyboard instrument.
- Students must attend Principal-Applied seminars, master classes, recitals, and studio classes as part of the MUSC 1000 requirement.
- Solo Public Performances in Principal-Applied area: Freshman year (1), Sophomore year (2), Junior year (3), and Senior year (3).
- The Performance major requires a Half Recital (20-30 minutes of music) during the junior year and a Full Recital (40-60 minutes of music) during the senior year, each based on studies in Principal Applied. Half Recitals exceeding 30 minutes of music must be approved by the hearing committee. Successful completion of MUSC 4941 Half Recital is a prerequisite for permission to enroll in MUSC 4942 Full Recital. Half and Full degree recitals must be auditioned for approval by a faculty committee.