A maximum of 6 semester credit hours of graduate credit, unless otherwise allowed, may be transferred from another accredited institution, subject to the following conditions:
- Work applied to a completed degree cannot be accepted (except when approved for the Ed.D. in School Improvement program).
- Work must have been completed within the six to eight year period allowed for the completion of degree requirements. Refer to the Time Limits to Complete a Graduate Degree policy for more information.
- Work must have been applicable toward a graduate degree at the institution where the credit was earned.
- Work offered for transfer must be approved by the College/School Director of Graduate Studies, Graduate Program Director, and the Academic Advisor.
Transient Status Permission
TRANSIENT STATUS – PERMISSION TO TAKE COURSE/S AT ANOTHER INSTITUTION
Students wishing to complete classes at another college or university to count towards their degree at West Georgia must maintain good standing at West Georgia and hold active student status at UWG during transient studies. Prior to taking the course(s), students must complete a Graduate Transient Status Permission Form, which includes the signatures of their advisor, the chair of the department in which the credit shall be granted, and the dean/designee of their major college. If the transient status involves study abroad, students must also obtain the signature of the Director of International Services and Programs. International students seeking transient status must obtain the signature of the Director of International Services and Programs.
Additional instructions to graduate students:
- A maximum of 6 graduate semester hours can be transferred to UWG and applied to your graduate program, with some exceptions. Meet with your Academic Advisor for more information.
- It is your responsibility to take courses that will be accepted as transfer credit at UWG. Discuss with your Academic Advisor to determine which transient courses are appropriate for your program of study. Confirm with the Chair of the credit granting department that the transient course will be accepted for credit at UWG.
- If your academic standing drops to Academic Probation or Suspension after you have been approved for transient status, you should not take courses at the host institution as they will not transfer to UWG
- Grades earned in courses taken as a transient student do not replace previous grades earned in courses taken at UWG. Duplicate credit will not be awarded.
- Transient courses are not calculated into the Institutional GPA, although they do become part of the Transfer GPA.
- Courses completed with grades of "B" or better are accepted as transfer credit provided all other transient conditions are met. Courses with grades of "C" may not be considered for transfer credit. Contact your Academic Advisor and Director of your graduate program for more information.
- It is your responsibility to have the transcript from the host school sent to the UWG Registrar’s Office after course work is completed.
- It is not recommended that you take courses as a transient student during your final semester before graduation, because the transcript from the host institution may not be received by the UWG Registrar in time for graduation. If this happens, your graduation will be delayed one semester.
- It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that approval has been granted for transient status before enrolling at the host institution. Students who do not get prior permission may not be awarded credit for coursework.