In an effort to mitigate those risks and crimes that are associated with credit and debit card information, the University of West Georgia is in the process of developing a standard policy for compliance.
Regulations for the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standards (DSS) were developed by the five major credit card companies and implemented on June 30, 2005.
PCI compliance and validation protects vendors, employers and employees, consumers from suffering financial and data loss because of unprotected network systems.
An on-campus audit was performed in May 2013 and a committee was assembled to review the audit report and develop a program on campus to ensure compliance.
The objectives of the PCI DSS are to:
- Build and maintain a secure network
- Protect cardholder data
- Maintain a vulnerability-management program
- Implement strong access-control measures
- Regularly monitor and test networks
- Maintain a written Information Security Policy