Faculty Advisory Committee
|Meg Pearson||English & Philosophy||2011|
|Foreign Languages & Literature||2012|
|Salvador Peralta||Political Science||2011|
Purpose and Duties
- The Committee shall serve as an advisory body to the Dean of the College on matters he/she wishes to discuss with the Committee.
- The members shall be responsible for maintaining communication among the faculty of each department and the Dean and between the faculties of the several departments. However, no provision of these By-Laws is intended to preclude direct communication between an individual faculty member and the Dean.
- The Committee shall have the authority and responsibility to investigate such matters as the Committee deems advisable, such as are presented by the Dean, or such as are presented by petition from at least 10% of the Faculty of the College.
- The Faculty Advisory Committee shall act as a nominating committee and prepare a slate of candidates for each of the positions of Arts and Sciences Secretary and Parliamentarian and all elected standing committees to be presented to the Faculty of the College of Arts and Sciences. Additional nominations may be made by petition of 10% of the Faculty of the College.
- At the regular meetings each term, the Advisory Committee shall recommend to the Dean for forwarding to the President candidates for degrees to be awarded at each commencement.
- The Committee shall be responsible for the evaluation of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. It shall appoint an Ad Hoc Committee to conduct this evaluation. This evaluation shall be completed no more than every four years and no less than every six years. The Ad Hoc Committee shall be composed of a representative group of faculty and shall include at least one department chairman. The Ad Hoc Committee shall decide the specific format for the evaluation.
- A special concern of the committee shall be the teaching conditions throughout the College which have an influence on the teaching performance and morale of the faculty.
- The Committee shall have no policy-making function but its findings and recommendations for change and other action shall be forwarded to the Executive Committee through the Dean.
Committee Composition and Selection
- Each department in the College shall have one representative on the Advisory Committee. All members of a department except the department chair are eligible to be elected as a member of the Committee. A majority vote of the members of a department shall be required for election, voting to be by secret ballot. Elected members shall serve a two-year term (except that at the first election one-half of the members shall be elected for a one-year term), and shall not be eligible for succession until one year after completion of the previous term.
- There shall be three student members of the committee.
- The Committee shall elect a chair annually.
- No person may serve on both the Faculty Advisory Committee and the Executive Committee.