Deborah Jenkins, Ph.D.
Coordinator of EDUC Sequence and Professor
Phone: 678-839-6181 | Fax: 678-839-6153
Office: Education Annex 144
Dr. Deborah Bainer Jenkins is Professor and Coordinator of EDUC courses. She previously served as Interim Chairperson of the Department of Collaborative Support and Intervention (1 semester) and Interim Chairperson of the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Sport Studies (4 years). A teacher educator by training, her current research focuses on redesigning supervision and technology applications in supervision.She is c0-author of the general pedagogy textbook, The Act of Teaching, and coauthored Redesigning Supervision, published by Teachers’ College Press. Over her career, she has secured nearly $1M for teacher professional development in science education, mostly focused on delivering science in partnership with non-formal organizations such as the Atlanta Audubon Society and the Georgia Aquarium. She taught science to grades 7-12 in the U.S. and Asia, and was a faculty member at Biola University and The Ohio State University before coming to the University of West Georgia.
- B.S., Biology Education, Geneva College, 1974
- M.S., Natural Resources (Enviromental Education), Ohio State University, 1982
- Ph.D., Science Education; Elementary Education, Ohio State University, 1986
- EDUC-2130 (Expl Learning and Teaching) [ View Syllabus ]
- Rodgers, A. & Jenkins, D. B. (2010). Redesigning Supervision. New York: Teachers' College Press. In Redesigning Supervision, coauthors Adrian Rodgers (The Ohio State University) and Deborah Bainer Jenkins examine the supervision models currently used and [ View Publication ]
- Cruickshank, D.R, Jenkins, D.B., & Metcalf, K.K. (in press). The act of teaching (6th ed.). New York: McGraw Hill. The Act of Teaching is a practical guide to effective teaching based on research about what a competent beginning teacher should know and be [ View Publication ]
Online 5-Star Course
Awarded to EDUC 2130, Fall 2012
Recognized for course completion and Proficiency Test