Barbara Kawulich is an Associate Professor in the College of Education's Department of Educational Technology and Foundations at the University of West Georgia, USA. Her interests include evaluation and research methodology, particularly qualitative methodologies, and issues of interest to indigenous women. She co-edited "Teaching Research Methods in the Social Sciences" and "Doing Social Research: A Global Context" with Drs. Claire Wagner (University of Pretoria) and Mark Garner (University of Aberdeen) and has numerous articles in such journals as Advancing Women in Leadership, Journal of Research in Education, Journal of STEM Education, Studies in Higher Education, Qualitative Sociology Review, Field Methods Journal, and Forum: Qualitative Social Research, among others. She and her co-authors are pursuing further research in the area of gaps in the literature on learning and teaching research methodology.
- B.S., Bachelor of Science in Physiological Psychology, University of Georgia, 1975
- M.S., Master of Science in Human Resources, Georgia State University, 1983
- Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy in Human Resource Development, Georgia State University, 1998
Courses and Sections
- CEPD-7152 (Research & Program Evaluation)
- CEPD-9171 (Program Evaluation)
- EDLE-8329 (Schl Ldrshp-Pluralstc/Dvrs Soc)
- EDSI-9962 (Qualitative Research Methods)
- EDSI-9998 (Research for Doc Dissertation)
- EDUC-2120 (Exp Sociocult. Persp on Div Ed)
- PTED-7246 (Comparative Education)
- Kawulich, B. B., Garner, M. W. J., & Wagner, C. (2009). Students’ Conceptions [View Publication]
- Kawulich, B. & Ogletree, T. (2012). Ethics in community research: Reflections from ethnographic research with First Nations people in the US. In L. Goodwin, J. Phillimore, & A. Bolstridge (Eds.), Community research for participation: From theory to method.
- "Doing Social Research" offers an accessible introduction to conducting research for students in the social sciences. This book combines a critical thinking approach with a strong emphasis on practical application to help you engage immediately with resear [View Publication]
- Kawulich, B. B. (2011). Learning from action evaluation of the use of multimedia case studies in management information systems courses [Special Issue]. Journal of STEM Education, 12(7&8), 57-70.
- Wagner, C., Garner, M., & Kawulich, B. (2011, first published on Sept. 16, 2010). The state of the art of teaching research methods in the social sciences: Towards a pedagogical culture. Studies in Higher Education, 36(1), p. 75-88. doi:10.1080/03075070903
- Kawulich, B. B. (February, 2011). Gatekeeping: An ongoing adventure in research. Field Methods Journal, 23 (1). doi: 10.1177/1525822X10383388 [View Publication]
- Sankar, C. S., Kawulich, B., Clayton, H., Raju, P.K. (2010). Developing Leadership Skills in Introduction to Engineering Courses through Multimedia. Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research, 11 (3), p. 34-60.
- Kawulich, B. B. (2009). The role of theory. In M. Garner, C. Wagner, & B. Kawulich, (Eds.), Issues in Teaching Research Methods in the Social Sciences. London: Ashgate Publishing.
- Flores-Farfan, J., Garner, M., & Kawulich, B. (2009). Towards a culturally responsive pedagogy in research methods. In M. Garner, C. Wagner, & B. Kawulich, (Eds.), Issues in Teaching Research Methods in the Social Sciences. London: Ashgate Publishing.
- Kawulich, B. B., Garner, M. W. J., & Wagner, C. (2009). Students' Conceptions - and Misconceptions - of Social Research. Qualitative Sociology Review, V (3), 5-25. [View Publication]
- Garner, M., Wagner, C., & Kawulich, B. (Eds.) (2009). Teaching Research Methods in the Social Sciences. London: Ashgate Publishing. Edited collection of chapters by international authors about teaching social science research.
- Kawulich, B. (2008). Giving Back to the Community Through Leadership. Advancing Women in Leadership Archives, 28(1). Retrieved [date] from http://advancingwomen.com/awl/awl_wordpress/. Ethnographic study with Muscogee (Creek) women leaders to identify t [View Publication]
- Kawulich, B. B. (2005, May). La observación participante como método de recolección de datos. Forum: Qualitative Sozialforschung/Forum: Qualitative Social Research [On‐line Journal], 6(2), Art. 43. [View Publication]
- Kawulich, B. B. (2005, May). Participant Observation as a Data Collection Method [81 paragraphs]. Forum: Qualitative Sozialforschung/Forum: Qualitative Social Research [On‐line Journal], 6(2), Art. 43. [View Publication]