Speech & Hearing Clinic
The University of West Georgia Comprehensive Community Clinic, housing reading and speech therapy, is operated by the Department of Clinical and Professional Studies. The speech therapy clinic is located in room 107 Education Center and the reading clinic is located in the Education Annex at the University of West Georgia. The clinic serves the needs of faculty, staff, students, and the West Georgia community. The clinic provides services to a wide variety of clients ranging from infants to adults. Our services are performed by student clinicians under the supervision of certified and licensed professionals.
There is a customary charge for our services; however, individuals needing services should not hesitate to call the clinic.
Services are provided across the lifespan, from pediatric to geriatric populations.
SPEECH: How we speak. Speech is how we produce sound with our voice, the articulation of what we say, how well we are understood, and the fluency of the message. We offer assessment and treatment services related to:
- Accent Modification
LANGUAGE: What we actually say. Language is the content of the message. We offer assessment and treatment services related to:
- Childhood language disorders
- Adult language disorders associated with brain injury/ stroke
SWALLOWING: The process of safely swallowing food and liquids. Dysphagia is the disruption of this process.We offer clinical assessment and management services related to:
- Pediatric and Adult Dysphagia (feeding/swallowing difficulties)
COGNITION: Attention, memory, reasoning, and other executive functions. We offer assessment and treatment services related to:
- Cognition as it relates to speech and language
HEARING: How we detect, perceive, and comprehend sound. Hearing is directly related to speech and language. We offer:
- Hearing Screenings
- Comprehensive Hearing Assessments
- Aural Habilitation/Rehabilitation Therapy
- Assessment: motivation/attitude assessment, phonics, rate/accuracy/expression, various aspects of comprehension
- Tutoring for reading:decoding, sight words, fluency, comprehension, and motivation and attitude