Sandra Hess Robbins, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Early Childhood and Special Education
Phone: 678-839-6164 | Fax: 678-839-6162
Office: Education Annex 226
Sandra Hess Robbins specializes in early childhood special education theory and practice. Sandra teaches for the Department of Learning and Teaching at the University of West Georgia. Sandra completed her Ph.D. at Kent State University in Kent, OH, and she has a masters degree in special education and a bachelors degree in elementary education. Sandra is interested in research and teaching around classroom based practices and interventions designed to increase the effectiveness of inclusive or blended educational settings. Specifically, her research interests include tiered instruction, differentiated instruction, universal design for learning, and early communication and behavior interventions for children with autism spectrum disorders.
- BS Ed., Elementary Education, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, 2002
- M.Ed., Special Education, Kent State University, 2006
- Ph.D., Special Education, Kent State University, 2013
- Robbins, S.H. (2013). The effects and feasibility of using tiered instruction to increase conversational turn taking for preschoolers with and without disabilities (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from OhioLINK. (kent1365610657)
- Robbins, S.H. (2013). The effects and feasibility of tiered instruction. Saarbrucken, Germany: Scholarâ€™s Press.
- Harjusola-Webb, S. & Robbins, S.H. (2012). The effects of teacher training on teacher delivered opportunities for expressive communication in young children with autism spectrum disorders. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 32, 99-110.
- Robbins, S.H., Pretti-Frontczak, K., & Grisham-Brown, J. (2010). Recommended practices for assessing children with diverse abilities, in J. Grisham-Brown & K. Pretti-Frontczak (Eds.) Assessment practices for working with young children in blended classroom
Courses and Sections
- SPED-3714 (Behavior & Classroom Mgmt)
- SPED-3761 (Mild Dis: Meth for Lit & SS)
- SPED-4713 (Collaboration in Sch Settings)
- SPED-4761 (Mild Dis: Meth for Sci & Math)
- SPED-4789 (Internship Seminar)
- SPED-6706 (Spec Educ in Regular Classroom)
- SPED-6793 (Practicum II: Special Educ)
- SPED-7722 (Collabor:Famil,Prof,& Students)
- SPED-8771 (Curriculum Design & Implement)
- SPED-8784 (Research Seminar)