Dr. Hema Ramanathan is an Associate Professor in the Department of Clinical and Professional Studies in the College of Education. Her academic focus is teacher education with an emphasis on diversity and instruction. She teaches courses on diversity and instructional leadership in the EDDSI program, and Masters level courses on culture, lnstructional strategies and linguistics as applied to language minority students, besides directing dissertations. Her research interests span diversity, teacher beliefs and professional development of teachers in the U.S. and India. Publications include editing a section on India for a handbook on Asian education, a chapter on mapping how to teach culturally and diverse learners, and an article on the status of assessment of English in K-12 schools in India. Prior to her appointment at UWG, Dr. Ramanathan taught at Butler University, IN, and in K-12 and English Language schools in India, Indonesia and Malaysia.
- B.A., English Literature, Madras University, 1972
- B.Ed., English as a Second/Foreign Language, Madras University, 1979
- M.A., English Literature, Madurai-Kamaraj University, 1982
- M.Ed., Educational Administration, Madurai-Kamaraj University, 1985
- Post Graduate Certificate in the Teaching of English, Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, 1988
- Ph.D., Teacher Education, The Ohio State University, 1996
Courses and Sections
- ECED-4286 (Teaching Internship)
- EDRS-8304 (Data Analysis in Educ Research)
- EDSI-9923 (Lead for Diversity in 21st Cen)
- EDSI-9998 (Research for Doc Dissertation)
- EDUC-2120 (Exp Sociocult. Persp on Div Ed)
- EDUC-9998 (Research:Doctoral Dissertation)
- NURS-9013 (Nurs Ed Lead for Div 21st Cent)
- PTED-7239 (Lang & Culture in the Classrm)
- PTED-7240 (Lit, Ling, and 2nd Lang Acquis)
- PTED-7241 (Tch Eng as 2nd Lang:Meth & Mtl)
- SEED-4243L (Inst Strat for Sec Soc St Lab)
- SEED-4271L (Inst., Assess, Mgmt in SE Lab)
- SEED-4286 (Teaching Internship)
Fall 2013 Sections
- EDUC-2120 (Exp Sociocult. Persp on Div Ed) Section: 06D [View Syllabus]
- PTED-7239 (Lang & Culture in the Classrm) Section: N01 [View Syllabus]
- EDSI-9923 (Lead for Diversity in 21st Cen) Section: N01 [View Syllabus]
- EDSI-9998 (Research for Doc Dissertation) Section: N13
Spring 2013 Sections
- Ramanathan, H. and Parvathy, P. B. (2012, March 4). No place for fear in classroom The Hindu, Open Page [View Publication]
- Ramanathan, H. and Parvathy, P. B. (2011, December 25). Where motive is profit, education takes a back seat. The Hindu, Open Page [View Publication]
- Ramanathan, H. (2010). But they don't speak English-Mapping how we teach culturally and linguistically diverse learners. In U. Thomas (Ed.) Culture or chaos in the village: The journey to cultural fluency. Laneham, MD: Rowan and Littlefield Education [View Publication]
- Zhao, Y., Lei, J, Li, G., He, M. F., Okano, K., David, G, Ramanathan, H. Nagwa, M. (Eds.). (2010). Handbook of Asian education: A cultural perspective. Routledge. [View Publication]
- Ramanathan, H. (2008). Interviewing Families of English Language Learners: Preconceived notions and intercultural norms. TESOL in Action, 21(2). [View Publication]
- Ramanathan, H. (2008). Testing of English in India: A Developing Concept. Language Testing, 25(1) 111-126. [View Publication]
- Coleman, D. A study of the common characteristics in planning and implementation of mathematics lessons of effective teachers of students in poverty. (2012)
- McCaffrey, K. The effect of a character education program on the perceptions of young adolescents regarding their school’s climate and their ability to discern loyalty and perseverance. (2011)
- Willaford, S. The influence of SIOP training on changes in teacher planning and instructional delivery of elementary mathematics. (2011).
- Harrison, J. Mainstream teachers’ implicit beliefs about English Language Learners. (2010).
- Corley, J. A. Emic and etic perspectives of male elementary school teachers: Understanding the motivations, experiences, and challenges of men working in a female-dominated context. (2009).
- Horn, C. Stakeholder perceptions of the roles and responsibilities of middle school curriculum specialists. (2009).
- Lusk, C. An investigation of the relationship between the Student Support Team process and student achievement. (2009).
- Sankar, L. An experimental study comparing the effectiveness of two formats of professional learning on teacher knowledge and confidence in a co-teaching class. (2009).