Julia Whisenhunt, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Counselor Education and College Student Affairs
Phone: 678-839-6116 | Fax: 678-839-6099
Office: Education Annex 241
Julia L. Whisenhunt, Ph.D., LPC, NCC, is an Assistant Professor of Counselor Education and College Student Affairs at the University of West Georgia. She is also the Director of Curriculum and Training for the PREVENT@UWG comprehensive campus suicide prevention program. Dr. Whisenhunt has presented in the areas of self-injury, suicide, creativity in counseling, sandtray therapy, play therapy, post-traumatic growth, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, supervision, and Motivational Interviewing. Her primary research foci are self-injury and suicide. Dr. Whisenhunt has clinical experience working with child, adolescent and adult clients who experience a variety of therapeutic issues ranging from problems of adjustment to active psychosis. She has worked in partial hospitalization, school and college counseling settings.
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, State University of West Georgia, 2001
- M.A., Master of Arts in Psychology, University of West Georgia, 2003
- Ed.S., Specialist in Education in Guidance and Counseling, University of West Georgia, 2009
- Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Practice, Georgia State University, 2012
- CEPD-6141 (Professional Community Counsel) Section: 01D
- CEPD-6160 (Group Counseling) Section: 01
- CEPD-6141 (Professional Community Counsel) Section: 01D [ View Syllabus ]
- CEPD-6160 (Group Counseling) Section: 02 [ View Syllabus ]
- CEPD-7185 (Crisis/Trama Counseling) Section: 01D [ View Syllabus ]
- CEPD-7134 (Family Therapy:Theory & Pract) Section: 01D [ View Syllabus ]
- ECED-7267 (Teaching Creative Arts) Section: N01 [ View Syllabus ]
- Bradley, N., Whisenhunt, J., & Adamson, N., & Kress, V. (2013). Creative approaches for promoting counselorsâ€™ self-care. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health. 8, 456-469. [ View Publication ]
- Whisenhunt, J., & Kress, V. (2013). The use of visual arts in counseling clients who engage in non-suicidal self-injury. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 8(2), 120-135.
- Whisenhunt, J. L., & Kress, V. E. (2013). Non-suicidal self-injury. In ACA (Ed.), ACA: Practice Briefs. [ View Publication ]