The University of West Georgia's performance-based Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) Leadership Degree program emphasizes job embedded learning through a coaching model. The Educational Specialist Program affords candidates advanced preparation in educational leadership for both school level and system level leadership positions. Candidates who successfully complete the program earn a Performance Based Leadership Certificate (PL-6) in educational leadership. The primary component of the program is a field-based residency in which students are provided the opportunity to practice, learn and demonstrate performance while on the job as an educational leader.
Up to 36 semester hours of graduate credit must be completed for this degree program. Eighteen semester hours of the program are in the residency and twelve hours are in course work, most of which can be taken concurrently with the residency. PSC regulations require six hours of Leadership Pre-Service Requirements which must be completed prior to beginning the 30 hours of the program.
The 18 hours of Leadership Residency afford Candidates the opportunity to demonstrate performance within fourteen leadership areas under the direction of a Candidate Support Team consisting of an administrative sponsor, professor, and a performance coach. Monthly Saturday Seminars and online learning experiences augment the leadership core content. The culminating requirement of the residency will be the production of a portfolio describing the candidate's performance-based experiences and evaluations. Student performance is evaluated by the Candidate Support Team. Click here for more information on Admission and Program of Study
UWG Performance-Based Ed. S. Leadership Degree and GA PL-6 Certification Program Admission Time Lines and Requirements
- Candidates in leadership positions or approved leadership roles who have completed a Graduate degree in Leadership (or hold a clear renewable GA L-5 certificate) may begin their program of study upon admission.
- Candidates who have not completed a Graduate degree in Leadership must complete the Leadership Pre-Service requirements prior to beginning their program of study.
Admission requirements include the following:
- A Masters degree from a nationally or regionally accredited institution
- Successful completion of PSC Pre-Service Leadership Requirements (for candidates who have not earned a graduate leadership degree)
- Official GRE scores
- Be employed in a leadership position in a local education agency (LEA) OR be employed in a leadership role approved by the LEA for participation in a Leadership Certification program
- Be recommended by the Superintendent or designee based on local district requirements
- 3.0 or better cumulative GPA on graduate work
The Department of Leadership & Instruction has ongoing admission for completion of Pre-Service Leadership Requirements and Leadership Core Content. Leadership Residencies are initiated by cohort groups in the Summer and Fall Semesters. Proof of the following should be submitted to the Graduate School before established deadlines for each semester.
- Completed application for admission
- Non-refundable $40.00 application fee
- One official transcript from each college or university attended to complete graduate degree
- Signed System Approval Form signed both by your immediate supervisor (must be the principal for applicants working at a school) AND the superintendent or his/her designee
Fall = July 8
Spring = October 15
Summer = March 22
Please send all documents directly to the College of Education, Office of Graduate Studies, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, Georgia 30118. Inquiries related to your application status should be directed to the Office of Graduate Studies by calling 678-839-5430, or e-mail Ms. Ciara Tompkins at email@example.com. Fax: 678-839-6174
Important Phone Numbers and websites
Department Office 678-839-6530
Financial Aid 678-839-6421 www.westga.edu/finaid/
Registrar's Office 678-839-6438 www.westga.edu/registrar/
College of Education Graduate Admissions http://www.westga.edu/coegrad/