Donna Harkins, Ed. D.
Chair and Associate Professor
Phone: 678-839-6066 | Fax: 678-839-6063
Office: Education Annex 112
Hours: Bu appointment
Dr. Donna M. Harkins is an Associate Professor in the College of Education and chair of the Department of Learning and Teaching. She teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in Early Childhood Education. Her current research interests focus on mentoring of teacher candidates during field experiences and on the nature of connections young children make to literature. Publications include an analysis of teacher talk during the administration of an informal reading inventory and an examination of teaching structures and strategies in inclusion classrooms. Prior to her appointment at UWG, Dr. Harkins worked as a middle school teacher adn Title I coordinator in a K-8 district and with at-risk students in an alternative high school in a Texas.
- B.A., History, Rhode Island College, 1973
- M.Ed., Education: Reading, University of North Texas, 1993
- Supervision, Curriculum and Instruction, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 1999
Courses and Sections
- ECED-4286 (Teaching Internship)
- ECED-4289 (Teaching Internship Seminar)
- ECED-7262 (Investigating Language Arts)
- ECED-8271 (Advanced Curriculum Seminar)
- EDME-7271L (Elem Mathematcis I Lab)
- EDSI-9998 (Research for Doc Dissertation)
- READ-4251 (Assess/Correction Read Educ)
- READ-7263 (Comp Lit Assessmnt & Intervent)
Spring 2013 Sections
- ECED-4289 (Teaching Internship Seminar) Section: 91 [View Syllabus]
- EDSI-9998 (Research for Doc Dissertation) Section: N02
- [View Publication]
- Holbein, M. F., & Harkins, D. M. (2010). An investigation of teacher talk during the administration of an informal reading inventory. Mentoring Literacy Professionals: Continuing the Spirit of CRA/ALER After 50 Years - The Thirty-first Yearbook: A Doubled
- Harkins, D. M. (2010). College Reading Association Oral History Monograph - Wayne M. Linek. The College Reading Association Legacy: A Celebration of Fifty Years of Literacy Leadership, 371-379.