Catherine Jenks, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Criminology; Interim Director of Institutional Research and Planning
Phone: 678-839-6449 | Fax:
Office: Sanford Hall
Dr. Catherine A. Jenks received her Ph.D. in Criminology from The Florida State University in 2006. She is an Associate Professor of Criminology and the Interim Director of Institutional Research and Planning at UWG. Dr. Jenks co-founded and served as the Director of the Survey Research Center, which is housed in the College of Social Sciences, from 2007-2013. She is a Quality Matters certified instructor, and her teaching and research interests include law and society, therapeutic jurisprudence, civility, perceptions of justice, survey research, and criminology and criminal justice education. Dr. Jenks currently serves as co-principal investigator on a National Science Foundation funded research project designed to identify specific issues in the recruitment, retention, and promotion of women faculty in STEM and STEM related disciplines. Prior to joining the faculty at the University of West Georgia, she worked as a survey coordinator in the Survey Research Group at the RAND Corporation in Santa Monica, California. She was the recipient of the University of West Georgia's College of Arts and Sciences' Excellence in Teaching Award in 2009.
- B.A., Government, University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- M.A., Criminology and Criminal Justice, University of Texas at Arlington, 1997
- Ph.D., Criminology, Florida State University, 2006
- CRIM-4000 (Research Methodology) Section: N02
- CRIM-4000 (Research Methodology) Section: N01
- CRIM-6999 (Thesis) Section: 01
- CRIM-4000 (Research Methodology) Section: 01
- CRIM-6999 (Thesis) Section: 02
- Jenks, Catherine A. and John Randolph Fuller. 2013. "Civility in prisons: A radical proposal." In D. Polizzi & M. Braswell (Eds.) Transforming Corrections (2nd Ed.). Durham, N.C.: Carolina Academic Press.
- Jenks, Catherine A. 2013. "Interview of Judge Winston P. Bethel, Retired, Chief Magistrate Judge." In D. K. Das and C. Roberson (Eds.) Trends in the Judiciary: Interviews with Judges Across the Globe. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Matthews, Todd, L. Michael Johnson, and Catherine A. Jenks. 2011. Does religious involvement generate or inhibit fear of crime? Religions 2(4), 485-503.
- Jenks, David, J. Scott Carter and Catherine A. Jenks. 2007. Command staff leadership training and job commitment in the LAPD. Southwest Journal of Criminal Justice 4,106-119.