Older Americans Month Sock Drive
Fast facts about older Americans
• April 1963- President John F. Kennedy designated May as “Senior Citizens Month.
• 1980- President Jimmy Carter renamed May as Older American Month.
• Every President since Kennedy has issued a formal proclamation during or before the month of May asking the nation to pay tribute in some manner to older person their communities through ceremonies, events, fairs and other activities.
• The older population (65+) numbered 38.9 million in 2008, an increase of 4.5 million or 13.0% since 1998.
• Over one in every eight, or 12.8%, of the population is an older American.
• Persons reaching age 65 have an average life expectancy of an additional 18.6 years (19.8 years for females and 17.1 years for males).