HOW TO APPLY
NOW 100% ONLINE
We will begin accepting applications Fall 2014 for the Summer 2015 Cohort.
NOTE: Before you apply, please review the list below of items that are required for admission to the Doctorate in Professional Counseling and Supervision degree.
All graduate applicants must complete the online Grad Application (a one-time application fee of $40 is required) and also the Program Specific Application Screencast- How to Submit Your Program-Specific Information. Please direct program questions to Margaret Parrish at email@example.com or 678-839-6062.
Step 1 - Online Application
Complete the online application for admission to graduate studies. You will receive a confirmation message indicating that your application has been submitted.
Submit your $40.00 non-refundable application fee by debit or credit card to the University of West Georgia. Call the Office of Admissions (678-839-4000) for more details.
Step 2 - Official Transcripts
Request official transcripts from institution(s) you have attended. Transcripts should be mailed directly to UWG, Office of Admissions. If a transcript is mailed to you, it cannot be treated as official if it has been opened. Should transcripts be mailed to you, forward transcripts to UWG, Office of Admissions in their original, sealed envelopes.
Step 3 - Program Specific Requirements for Doctorate in Professional Counseling and Supervision Degree
- An official transcript of all graduate level work
- Applicants must have either an Education Specialist degree in Counseling Education from an accredited program or 30 hours of post-masters, advanced preparation in counseling.
- Applicants must have a master’s degree in counseling from a CACREP accredited program. If the program was not CACREP accredited at the time of the applicant’s graduation, the applicant must demonstrate that the program was CACREP equivalent.
- A cumulative minimum graduate grade point average (PGA) of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale is required for all graduate course work.
- Copy of certification or licensure. Applicants must be certified as a Professional School Counselor and/or licensed as a Professional Counselor.
- Send official GRE scores(Verbal and Quantitative reasoning) to the University of West Georgia (be sure to choose school code 5900, when taking the test). Scores must be no more than 5 years old. (GRE test scores are part of your reportable history for five years after the testing year in which you tested (July 1 - June 30). As of July 1, 2012, GRE scores earned July 1, 2008, to the present will be available in your reportable GRE score history.) There is no required minimum GRE score, however, we do have recommended minimum GRE scores. Students must complete the Verbal & Quantitative reasoning tests. A combined score of 1000 is the recommended minimum, with a score of at least 450 on each test. (New Scale Scores combined recommended 300; at least 151 Verbal reasoning and 145 Quantitative reasoning).
- A 300 - 500 word essay. The essay presents the applicant's professional goals and how the doctorate in Professional Counseling Supervision will contribute to achieving those goals.
- Three recommendations (click here for form) on the Professional Counseling and Supervision recommendation form. The recommendations must be from professionals who are familiar with the applicant’s professional qualities.
- A vitae/resume listing contact information, educational background, employment history, awards and recognitions, presentations, etc. is required.
- Applicants must have at least three years of experience in private or public schools, community agency, hospital, or private practice.
- A letter from the applicant’s administrative supervisor indicating support for their doctoral studies and related activities.
- An interview with a team of faculty members to be scheduled (BY THE PROGRAM) after the review of submitted materials.
Step 4 - You should mail all official transcripts, and official GRE (or, the test site can sometimes send electronically) test scores, to the address below:
Office of Admissions
University of West Georgia
Mandeville Hall - Front Campus Drive
Carrollton, GA 30118
Step 5 - Check your application’s status
Log -in to our Graduate Student Pre-Enrollment Preparation Site (PREP) to check the status of your application.
When attempting to login, your ID Number will be your social security number, and your PIN is the last 2 digits of your birth year followed by the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you have forgotten your pin, please select 'Change Pin'.
Example: If your social security number is 123-45-6789 and birth year is 1990, then your login information will be:
ID = 123456789 Pin = 906789
If you are an international student please click here for any additional requirements.