EdDPCS Home at The University of West Georgia

Log On

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions

1. Does my Ed. S. have to be in counseling and why is that a requirement?

Yes. Traditionally, doctoral programs in counseling are comprised of about 5 years of post-baccalaureate coursework and dissertation.  At UWG, we require a master's degree of at least 48 semester credits (equivalent to 2 years of full time study), and a specialist degree in counseling (equivalent to 2 years of full time study).  The 2 years of fulltime study in the doctoral program here are possible because candidates for the program already have significant professional knowledge and skill, as evidenced by their prior degrees, work experience, and professional credentials such as licensure or school counselor certification.

2. Do I have to be fully licensed?

The requirements state that one must be licensed or certified to practice. An associate license is considered a license. However, there is an additional requirement that one must have 3 years of counseling experience as well as the license or certificate.

3. Why do I have to be employed?

This program is designed for working professionals who do not wish to suspend their career progress for 3-5 years. Many of the assignments, including those leading to the completion of a dissertation, are completed within the student’s work setting.

4. Will I be able to teach in higher education with this degree?

Graduates of this program are not endorsed for full time faculty positions. The coursework and instructional experiences are not designed to prepare one for the many specialized roles occupied by faculty.  As is the case with many doctoral level counseling practitioners, the potential to teach part time, or to supervise counseling students as part of an academic program exists.

5. When are courses offered?

Courses are offered in a combination of synchronous and asynchronous on-line offerings.

6. Why are there limitations on how many are admitted each year?

Doctoral education, particularly the development of dissertations, is labor -intensive work. We only admit the maximum number of students we have resources to support.

7. What if I haven’t had all of the required master's or specialist program courses?

A plan of study is developed that includes required courses the student may not have completed.  Education Specialist programs vary widely in content, so it is not unusual for students to need a course or two beyond those on the doctoral program plan study.

8. How much of the course work is delivered online?

All courses are delivered online. The only time you are required to be on campus is for the 2 1/2 day orientation prior to beginning the program.

9. How technologically savvy do I need to be?

Basic computer literacy, willingness to learn, and access to a computer and high- speed internet access is essential. 

10. How long does it take to complete the degree?

The program has been designed for 2 years of full time study. Full time study is two courses per term, continuous enrollment, beginning summer.