English Home at The University of West Georgia

Log On


English Graduate Students should contact Dr. Josh Masters, Director of Graduate Studies, for advisement.

Important Note: You must officially register with our department if you want to be an English major, even if you declared your major when you were initially admitted into West Georgia.

How to Declare the English Major

Stop by the department office (TLC 2255) to fill out a major declaration form.

How to get an Advisor

Once you've filled out a major declaration form (available in the department office), you'll receive an email informing you of your advisor assignment. All officially declared majors are assigned to a major professor in the department (a tenure-track faculty member who teaches major-level courses). Your advisor will meet with you to discuss the major requirements and help you decide what courses you need to take. You should meet with your advisor at least once each semester during pre-registration; however, your advisor is also there to assist you with other questions and concerns related to your academic work at West Georgia. If you do not meet with your advisor regularly, you might take the wrong courses and delay your graduation. Students who are undeclared should set up an appointment to be advised through the Excel Center.

Advisement Guidelines

Every English major should have an advisor in our department. If you are already an English major and don’t have an advisor (or don’t know who your advisor is), contact the academic coordinator, Susan Holland.You should meet with your advisor at least once each semester during pre-registration. It is your responsibility to contact your advisor to set up an appointment. All faculty contact information is available on our department website. Thinking about Becoming an English Major but not sure? Still Undecided? We’d be happy to talk with you about our program and help you make the decision that is right for you. Just stop by the department office and tell our staff you want more information on becoming a major. They will help you set up an appointment with the department chair to discuss our degree programs.  Or if you are currently taking (or have taken) an English course, stop by your professor’s office and ask her or him. Anyone will be glad to point you in the right direction.

Declaring a Minor

Perhaps a minor will best serve your career interests. A minor in Literature, Creative Writing, Film Studies, or Africana Studies can significantly strengthen your professional skills in a variety of other majors, including business-related majors, computer science, mass communications, foreign languages, history, psychology, sociology/anthropology, pre-law, and criminology. Information on these minors can be found in the college catalog and on our website.  If you want to declare a minor in English, just stop by the department office and we will help you complete the declaration forms.

For more information on the Creative Writing minor, contact Dr. Alison Umminger.
For more information on the Literature minor, contact Dr. Margaret Mitchell.
For more information on the Film Studies minor, contact Dr. Erin Lee Mock.
For more information on the Africana Studies minor, contact Prof. Stacy Boyd.

NOTE: A minor is not required for the B.A. English degree.