Director of Graduate Studies in English
Serve as an ex-officio member of the Graduate Program Committee (GPC) during the tenure of appointment.
- Represent the department at meetings of the Committee on Graduate Studies whenever it meets and at the Arts and Sciences Executive Committee and Faculty Senate when issues that affect to our graduate program are considered.
- Work with the GPC to develop and implement recruitment strategies for the graduate program in English.
- Work with the GPC to develop long range goals for the graduate program in English.
- Correspond with prospective graduate students regarding our program.
- Serve as faculty advisor for all new graduate students until they select a major professor.
- Coordinate the application and selection process for graduate research assistants each semester.
- Work with the GPC in scheduling academic programs and extra-curricular activities that will enhance the professional preparation of our graduate students in our program.
- Meet regularly with graduate students (or their elected representatives) to discuss the status of our graduate program.
- Work with the GPC to plan and present an orientation session for all new graduate students every fall.
- Update when necessary our online graduate student handbook and other documentation related to our graduate program.
- Advise and consult with the Chair regularly concerning our graduate program and graduate recruitment.
Any full-time faculty member who holds the academic rank of tenure within the Department is eligible to be considered for this position.
Compensation will be in the form of reassigned administrative workload. Assuming normative course loads of six courses per year respectively, the DGS will receive administrative reassigned time equivalent to two courses per year (one per semester).