Writing Committee Mission
Constituency and Terms of Service
The constituency of the Committee reflects the fact that all English faculty, regardless of rank, teach first-year writing and participate in governing and assessing the program. The Director of First Year Writing and the Director of the University Writing Center serve as non-voting members of the Committee. One tenured and another tenured or tenure-eligible faculty member and three faculty from the limited-term instructor or assistant professor ranks make up the voting membership.
A term of service of service is generally two years. Elections are held in the spring, with limited-term candidates limited to those who have been renewed for the following academic year. Members may be reelected to successive terms of service.
Mission Statement and Reporting Structure
The Committee’s purpose is both to advise and serve as a resource to English faculty in relation to the composition sequence--English 1101 and English 1102. The Committee will consider in an ongoing fashion the following:
- course focus and design;
- different formats in which to offer such courses (for example, course pairings and Learning Community clusters);
- shared course goals and policies;
- assessment options;
- placement and exemption examination procedures;
- effective implementation of technology within the curriculum;
- options for supplemental instruction, including University Writing Center tutoring and writing workshops or labs;
- textbook recommendations, particularly for new FYW faculty;
- and the first-year writing sequence's role in both the core and English curricula.
Members of the First-Year Writing Committee may also be called upon to assume a leadership role in reviewing applications, interviewing candidates, and offering recommendations to the Chair in hiring limited-term instructors and assistant professors--those faculty who teach the majority of the Department's composition courses.
The Committee also makes recommendations to the English Department in response to departmental requests. Questions to be considered may be brought forward to the Committee chair by the Department chair or by any member of the English faculty. All First-Year Writing Committee meeting minutes will be distributed to English faculty via the department listserv.