The Discovery Program (Major Exploration)
Is your major listed as Undeclared? Did you choose a major but you are unsure of what you want to do? Confused about how to explore possible majors and careers?
Let the EXCEL Center help you explore a variety of academic majors before committing to a program of study. We are here to assist you in achieving your academic goals!FOCUS is an online tool that helps college students explore majors and careers. It’s free and takes less than an hour to complete. Students who use FOCUS can make better decisions concerning their plans and goals and learn how to self-manage their careers.
- Create a FOCUS account (access code: wolves)
- Login to an existing FOCUS account
What Is Undeclared?
If you have not chosen an academic major yet, you are an undecided or undeclared student.
Did you know that each year as many as 350 first-year students come to the University of West Georgia (UWG) without a major? Undeclared students make up the largest undergraduate group that attends the university. Up to 50% of students change their majors 3–4 times before they graduate. You are not alone!
Approximately 75% of students entering college are undecided about their academic major or goals. Statistics show that the likelihood of graduation is greater for students who begin their college education undeclared, and later choose a major. You are being practical by keeping your options open!
The EXCEL Center is here to provide you with the support you need to declare a major by the end of your sophomore year or 60 semester hours. Here’s how we can help:
- Academic advisors will assist with the selection of courses, discovering personal values, and navigating the decision-making process.
Advantages of Being a Discovery Program Student
- Allows you time to explore different career options and discuss opportunities that interest you with EXCEL Center advisors.
- Provides you with the opportunity to enroll in a broad selection of courses designed to gain a better understanding of areas that interest you.
- Provides you time to gain the tools you need to make an informed decision about your future in
a systematic way.
How do I Know If the Undeclared Option Is for Me?
- You have a difficult time choosing among your many interests.
- You want to explore your options before deciding on a program.
- You feel pressured to choose a major.
Goals of the Undeclared Program
- Connect you to the university and assist with managing your academic career.
- Increase the number of students who declare a major before 60 semester hours.
- Provide the information and guidance you need as you declare a major.
- Support individual exploration of interests, skills, values, abilities and decision making.
What Can I Do to Help?
- Attend the Discovery and FOCUS workshops offered each semester and Mardi Gras of Majors in the spring.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment once you have completed FOCUS.
- Meet with your academic advisors regularly and develop an action plan.
When I Am Ready, How Do I Declare a Major?
Contact an advisor at the EXCEL Center about which program of study you would like to pursue. They will either assist you in completing the Major Declaration/Change Form or refer you to the academic department on campus for additional information and to declare.
Thinking About Medicine?
Check out this nifty PDF for more information about how to get there.
For more help exploring majors and careers, come to the EXCEL Center - Room 200, University Community Center (UCC) or call 678-839-6280.
We are here for your success!