Financial Aid Home at The University of West Georgia

Log On


What is Financial Aid?

Financial aid consists of federal work study, grants, loans, and scholarships that are distributed through the financial aid department to assist students with their educational expenses.

Federal work study and grants are need-based funds as determined by the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Types of grants include: Pell and FSEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)

Ford Direct Stafford Loans are also available by completing the FAFSA. 
There are two types of Ford Direct Stafford Loans:

To be awarded Stafford Loans, a student must complete a FAFSA each year and submit any requested documentation. The FASFA will indicate which type of loan, subsidized or unsubsidized, the student is eligible to receive. Students must be enrolled at least half time to be eligible for student loans.  For additional funding, private loans are also available by applying to outside lenders.

Scholarships are also considered financial aid. There are several types of scholarships including: athletic (offered by the Athletic Department), private scholarships, HOPE  and Zell Miller scholarships for high achieving in-state students, and UWG's general scholarships (application available by clicking here).

Back to FAQ's Page

Application Process - General Eligibility

Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible program of study as at least half time in most programs.

How do I apply for financial aid?

A student interested in federal financial aid (loans, grants) must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  The application becomes available each year on January 1 and must be renewed each year. Below are some tips to help you complete the FAFSA:

  1. You must have your (and your parent's if dependent) previous year's tax returns.

  2. The FAFSA must be signed by student and parents (if a dependent student). The application process is faster if you sign using the electronic PIN #.   You can apply for the PIN # at

  3. You must provide your school’s federal school code.  The UWG school code is 001601.  If you are unsure of the school you plan to attend you can list up to 10 school codes on the FAFSA and each school listed will receive a copy. 

  4. A student interested in the HOPE scholarship or other State scholarships must complete the GSFAPPS at or have a current FAFSA on file. The GSFAPPS is a one time only application and does not have to be renewed each year.

 Helpful Hints for Applying

Additional Tips once you are enrolled

Back to FAQ's Page 

HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarship

What is the HOPE Scholarship, how do I know if I am eligible? 

Zell Miller Scholarship

What is the Zell Miller Scholarship, how do I know if I am eligible?

Back to FAQ's Page

Other Scholarships

Where can I find other scholarships?

Back to FAQ's Page  

Other Offices

Where do I change my address?

Students are required to notify the Registrar’s Office of all address changes.  Changes can be made on Banweb by clicking on 'Personal Information' or by completing an address change form in the Enrollment Services Center in Parker Hall.

Where do I get my ID card?

Student ID cards are made in the University Community Center (UCC), Top Floor, Auxiliary Services office, from 8 am –7 pm Monday through Thursday, and from 8 am-4:30 pm Friday.  

Where do I pay my fees? 

Fees can be paid online through BANWEB with any of these major credit cards; American Express, Discover, Master Card or with a check by using the Web Check option.

They can also be paid in person with cash or a personal check at the Cashier’s window in Aycock Hall.
(Credit cards cannot be accepted in person or over the phone.)

Where’s my refund?

The University of West Georgia has a contract with HigherOne that all overpayments to a student’s account will go to their HigherOne account. Once activated, Higher One gives the student choices of how to get the refund. Go to for more information.

Generally, refunds are released to the students' HigherOne Account 7-10 days after the drop/add period and weekly after that. HigherOne notifies students via email when their refund is available.  Holidays can delay refunds.

What is a Short Term/Emergency Loan and how can I apply?

The short term/emergency loan is available through the Bursar’s Office in Aycock Hall. The maximum amount is $450.00. If the application is approved, a repayment plan is set for the funds received to be repaid within the semester taken. Students are limited to one loan per term. The application can be found in BANWEB under Student Services. These funds are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis and are not always available.

Back to FAQ's Page

Satisfactory Academic Progress                

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements are meant to ensure that students are able to complete their academic program in a timely manner through achieving minimum academic standards.  In an age of increasing accountability for the use of federal, state, and institutional student aid funds, institutions of higher education and their students must demonstrate that financial aid funds are being used to assist students in efficiently completing their academic goals.                

The University of West Georgia (UWG) has developed a Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for Financial Aid recipients to encourage student success and accountability in the use of Financial Aid funds for educational purposes.

Please view the SAP policy here.