The following steps may help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses such as the flu:
- Practice good health habits, including eating a balanced diet, exercising daily, and getting sufficient rest and take these common-sense steps to stop the spread of germs.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze-throw the tissue away immediately after you use it. Avoid using handkerchiefs.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If you are not near water, use an alcohol-based (60-95%) hand cleaner.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too. Avoid shaking hands during flu season.
- If you get the flu, stay home from work, school, and social gatherings. In this way you will help prevent others from catching your illness.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs often spread this way. For more information on pandemic flu, go to http://www.pandemicflu.gov/general/ .