Phone: 678-839-5959 | Fax: 678-839-5931
Office: Cobb Hall 102
Jeff Zamostny joined the Department of Foreign Languages & Literatures in the Spring of 2012. His research focuses on the culture and literature of Silver Age Spain (1898-1936), placing special emphasis on questions of gender, sexuality, celebrity, and fandom. Zamostny is particularly interested in how understudied forms such as kiosk novels and silent film open new windows onto the study of early twentieth-century Spanish culture. His publications in this field appear in the edited volume Miradas de progreso: Reflejos de la modernidad en la Otra Edad de Plata (2016) and in the journals Hispanófila (2015), L'Erudit franco-espagnol (2015), and Revista de Estudios Hispánicos (2013). His volume Kiosk Literature of Silver Age Spain: Modernity and Mass Culture (co-edited with Susan Larson) is forthcoming with Intellect.
Zamostny teaches Spanish language, literature, and culture courses across the undergraduate curriculum as well as courses for the Minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies, of which he is also director. He has also enjoys teaching courses for study abroad in Costa Rica and for FLAIR, the Foreign Languages and International Relationships Living-Learning Community for first-year students. Zamostny was UWG's nominee for the USG Regents' Teaching Award for Individual Faculty Excellence (2016) and winner of the Foreign Language Association of Georgia Teacher of Promise Award (2014).
- B.A., Spanish, McDaniel College (Westminister, Maryland), 2007
- Graduate Certificate, Social Theory, University of Kentucky, 2010
- Ph.D., Hispanic Studies, University of Kentucky, 2012
- "Locating Tragedy in El ángel de Sodoma: Inversion and the Unchanged Name." L'Erudit franco-espagnol 7 (2015): 22-34. [View Publication]
- "El lector como admirador y corresponsal creativo: Fan mail y fan fiction en La Novela de Hoy." Miradas de progreso: Reflejos de la modernidad en la Otra Edad de Plata. Ed. M. Mañas Martínez and B. Reguiero. Madrid: Ediciones del Orto, 2016. 87-114.
- "Jacinto Benavente's De muy buena familia and Early Twentieth-Century Discourse on Crime and Homosexuality: Three Readings." Hispanófila 173 (2015): 183-99.
- "Ricardo Darín and the Animal Gaze: Celebrity and Anonymity in El aura." Confluencia 30.2 (2015): 154-66.
- "Pimping the Text: Gendered Tropes in Spain's Mass Literary Market, 1907-1936." Revista de Estudios Hispánicos 47.1 (2013): 55-78.
- "Constructing Ethical Attention in Lucía Puenzo's XXY." Representing History, Class, and Gender in Spain and Latin America: Children and Adolescents in Film. Ed. Carolina Rocha and Georgia Seminet. New York: Palgrave Macmillian, 2012. 189-204.
- "Canon Formation and Diversity: Latin American Gay Literature in the Global Market." Chasqui 40.2 (2011): 80-94. Accompanying dossier of images in Chasqui 41.1 (2012): 187-90.
- "El malestar estomacal en La de Bringas de Galdós." Decimonónica 7.1 (2010): 61-75. [View Publication]
- "Comings Out: Secrecy, Sexuality, and Murder in Michael Nava's Rag and Bone." MELUS 34.3 (2009): 183-204.
- "¡Todos a bordo!: Viajes al tercer sexo madrileño en A Sodoma en tren botijo de Alvaro Retana." Divergencias 7.1 (2009): 55-60. [View Publication]
Courses and Sections
- SPAN-1002 (Elementary Spanish II)
- SPAN-2001 (Intermediate Spanish I)
- SPAN-2001B (Intermediate Spanish I-Block)
- SPAN-2002 (Intermediate Spanish II)
- SPAN-2002B (Intermediate Spanish II-Block)
- SPAN-3030 (Intro to Hispanic Literature)
- SPAN-3102 (Spanish Composition)
- SPAN-4200 (Hispanic Film and Literature)
Summer 2016 Sections
- SPAN-2001 (Intermediate Spanish I) Section: 01
Spring 2016 Sections
- SPAN-2002 (Intermediate Spanish II) Section: 02
- SPAN-2002 (Intermediate Spanish II) Section: 03
- SPAN-3030 (Intro to Hispanic Literature) Section: 01
Fall 2015 Sections
- SPAN-1002 (Elementary Spanish II) Section: 01
- SPAN-1002 (Elementary Spanish II) Section: 02
- SPAN-3102 (Spanish Composition) Section: 01W
Spring 2015 Sections
- SPAN-2001 (Intermediate Spanish I) Section: AB1
- SPAN-2001B (Intermediate Spanish I-Block) Section: 01
- SPAN-2002 (Intermediate Spanish II) Section: AB1
- SPAN-2002B (Intermediate Spanish II-Block) Section: 01
- SPAN-4200 (Hispanic Film and Literature) Section: 01