The University of West Georgia (UWG) is a co-educational, residential institution with over 11,600 undergraduate and graduate students enrolled. Located in Carrollton, Georgia, UWG is only 50 miles west of Atlanta, Georgia. We offer thirteen graduate degrees in a variety of fields and emphases in the Arts, Sciences, Business, and Education, including the Doctorate of Education in School Improvement and the Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology: Consciousness and Society. With our aesthetically pleasant campus, friendly environment, and commitment to provide “Educational Excellence in a Personal Environment”, we welcome international students to our campus!
We have an active International Student Club on campus that represents students from over 40 countries! Learn more about their experiences here.
|100% Online Degree Programs at UWG – International Student Eligibility|
|Eligible to Enroll||Not Eligible to Enroll|
|All admissible visas except F1 and J1||F1 visa|
|Students who study online while living in their home countries||J1 visa|
Application and Document Deadlines for International Students
International Student Application Deadlines are as follows in the chart below. If a deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the application is due the next business day. Please note that these deadlines are for admission to the University of West Georgia. An applicant must also meet the deadline for admission to the academic program. Please contact the Graduate Studies Associate for more information about academic program deadlines.
International students must submit a complete application packet to International Admissions by these dates. If the application is incomplete after the deadline has passed for the semester in which admission is sought, the application may be considered for the following semester pending receipt of all necessary materials to complete the application packet. If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact the International Admissions at email@example.com or 1-678-839-4780.
Note: Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply six (6) months prior to the term of desired enrollment. The required original documentation must be in the applicant's file by the above stated deadline. If a deadline is missed, the applicant may apply for another term by notifying International Admissions by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Admission of international students is based on academic admissibility, English proficiency, and proof of financial means to study in the United States. Applicants wanting to apply for admission to the Graduate School at the University of West Georgia must comply with the following requirements:
- International applicants should consult the program checklist (admissions requirements) for documents that must be submitted.
- Submit an application (APPLY ONLINE) and pay the non-refundable $40.00 application fee (in US dollars only). UWG cannot process your application until we receive your $40.00 non-refundable application fee. You can submit your payment by check or money order in the amount of $40.00 made payable to the University of West Georgia.
- Submit one official transcript from each college or university you have attended. Foreign Credential Evaluation for all course work (secondary and/or college/university) obtained outside of the United States by an independent credential evaluation service is required. Please see the list of approved, academic credential evaluators at www.naces.org. The evaluation must be a course by course evaluation with an overall grade point average. Upon receipt of the completed application, additional information will be sent to you. Although you may use any credential evaluation agency you choose (must be accredited by the National Association of Credential Evaluators [NACES]), UWG recommends World Education Services, Inc. (WES) for this evaluation. You may contact WES at www.wes.org.
- Testing - The official School Code for University of West Georgia Institution Code is 5900
- Submit (using University of West Georgia Institution Code: 5900) an official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score for the masters (MA, MS, MEd, MPA) degree programs and the doctoral programs (Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology: Consciousness and Society and Ed.D. Program in School Improvement). Prepare yourself to take the GRE Revised General Test, which was launched August, 2011, by clicking here.
- Submit (using University of West Georgia Institution Code: 5900) an official Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score for the MBA and MPACC degree programs.
- Unless you have earned a degree from an American college or university, all students from non-English speaking countries must supply a TOEFL score of 523 or above (paper-based test) or 193 or above (computer-based test), or IELTS score of 6.0 or above. MBA and MPACC applicants must supply a score of 550 or above (paper-based test) or 213 or above (computer-based test). TOEFL score requirements for the internet-based (TOEFL iBT) is 69-70. Those interested in the MBA or MPACC must submit a TOEFL iBT score of 79-80.
- International Admissions will also accept scores on the IELTS. IELTS score requirement is 6.5 for regular admission.
- UWG can only accept test scores officially submitted to the institution. Applicants must request the scores be submitted to UWG in order for them to be received.
- Three letters of recommendation. Speak to the College Graduate Studies Associate for more information about the requirements for the letters of recommendation.
- Satisfactory Certificate of Immunization
- Submit additional admissions forms
- Tuition & Fees
- International students wishing to transfer to the University of West Georgia from another institution in the United States must have the Transfer Clearance Form completed by their present International Student Advisor and returned directly to the University of West Georgia by that official.
These are minimal requirements. Some programs may require additional criteria.
Submit completed application and materials directly to:
International Services and Programs
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple Street
Carrollton, Georgia 30118
Applicants wishing to register to take an admissions test should call and/or visit the appropriate web site listed below:
Upon acceptance into the university, an $85.00 international orientation fee (fall, spring, or summer entry) is required prior to the issuance of an I-20. Please do NOT send the orientation fee prior to acceptance.
UWG is a publicly supported institution and does not have funds appropriated for use as scholarships or loans for incoming international students. However, international students may be eligible for graduate assistantships or out of state tuition waivers. Contact the Office of International Services and Programs for more information about out-of-state tuition waivers.
The annual cost of attending the University of West Georgia is approximately $31,000 for two semesters (9 credit hours each semester). Only those students who can demonstrate financial solvency will be considered for admission.
Please note that in addition to tuition and fees, an immigration fee of $50.00 for the International Services and Programs Office (sevis fee) will be required for each semester that you attend classes at UWG. This fee will be required each semester and will need to be paid at the time tuition and other mandatory fees are paid. For more information, please contact the International Services and Programs Office at email@example.com
Immigration/Visa Information: Admission to the University of West Georgia cannot be determined until all of your immigration and visa documents have been received and evaluated. Please note that acceptance to an academic program does not guarantee that you will be admitted to the University of West Georgia. If you are arriving from a foreign country, present your I-20 form to the nearest United States Consulate to apply for a Visa. You are required to be enrolled full-time (9 graduate semester hours or more) during each semester. New international students are not allowed to work off-campus.
Health Insurance: International students are also required by the University System of Georgia to purchase additional health insurance. The University System of Georgia has contracted United Healthcare to provide mandatory insurance coverage for all F-1 and J-1 students, which will automatically be charged to your UWG account. If you are already protected by an insurance policy, there is an online waiver process that you can go through. For specific information and questions about the plan, please visit: www.studentcenter.uhcsr.com/westga.
Catalog: Unfortunately we cannot mail catalogs, but you may view it online.