AREA A - ESSENTIAL SKILLS
COMMUNICATION SKILLS & QUANTITATIVE SKILLS
Core Area A1: Communication Skills (6 hours)
Demonstrate the ability to:
- Recognize & identify appropriate topics for presentation in writing
- Synthesize & logically arrange written presentations
- Adapt written communication to specific purposes and audiences
BOTH English courses are required. You must earn a C or higher in ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102 to complete the requirement.
ENGL 1101 English Composition I (3)
ENGL 1102 English Composition II (3)
Core Area A2: Quantitative Skills (3 hours)
- Students demonstrate a strong foundation in college-level mathematical concepts and principles.
- Students demonstrate the ability to apply symbolic representations to model and solve real-world problems.
Choose ONE of the following based on major: *
MATH 1001 Quantitative Skills and Reasoning (3)
MATH 1111 College Algebra (3)
MATH 1113 Precalculus (4)**
MATH 1634 Calculus I (4)**
*Science, computer science, mathematics, mathematics education, and science education majors must take MATH 1113 or higher. Nursing majors may take either MATH 1101 or MATH 1111. Engineering majors must take MATH 1634. Business majors are urged to take either MATH 1111 or MATH 1113.
**Since only three hours are required here in Area A, the extra hour earned by taking this course may be used in Area F according to most degree programs, but, for certainty, the student should always check the specifics listed in the description of the degree program.