From its humble beginnings as an agricultural and mechanical school in 1906 to a leading university, the University of West Georgia has a history rich with knowledge and growth.
The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School in Carrollton opened its doors in response to a call for “more realistic educational programs for rural youth” ages 13-21. With the site of the former Bonner Plantation chosen as a location, 110 pupils enrolled in 1908.
As time changed, so did the educational priorities of Georgia and the nation. By 1933, seven of the A&M schools abandoned their missions, and a decision was made to abolish the remaining A&M schools.
Despite the change, the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was chosen later that year to become West Georgia College, a two-year institution of higher learning.
The evolution continued when West Georgia became a four-year institution in 1957. At that time, 589 students were enrolled. By 1971, enrollment had increased to over 6,000 students. Just seven years after West Georgia received University status, fall enrollment topped 10,000.
In addition to educational changes, the university’s physical stature developed as well. Recent additions include the Coliseum and University Stadium. Ingram Library, originally constructed in 1968, is currently being renovated.
Today, more than 100 programs are offered at the University of West Georgia through the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Social Sciences, the College of Science and Mathematics, the Richards College of Business, the College of Education and the School of Nursing.
Graduate Studies offers Master’s and specialist degrees with the education and psychology department offering doctorate degrees.
Courses are also available for students in remote areas through the Distance Learning Program, which conducts classes both online and through videoconferencing.
UWG is also the only university in Georgia to offer an Honors College. The Advanced Academy of Georgia allows exceptional high school juniors and seniors to live and study on campus while completing their high school graduation requirements.
With help from the West Georgia Foundation and programs such as the Annual Fund, which benefits scholarships, faculty development, advanced technology and more, UWG continues to grow and excel in educational progress.
From the Carrollton campus to the Newnan, Dalton and Rome, Ga. divisions and beyond, UWG’s reach and influence is as wide and deep as its roots. Come experience the difference.