ISP Home at The University of West Georgia

Log On

Immigration Information

Full-Time Enrollment

Federal regulations require that you enroll in classes each term and maintain a full course of study. If you are planning to withdraw or change to audit credits, consult with ISP first as this may put you below full time.  Repeat course credits do not count towards your full time status.

Full time Enrollment is defined as: 

Graduate Students ONLY: If you are taking less than 9 credits register for Continuous Enrollment. Consult your Academic Advisor for full time status.

Online class regulation

U.S. Immigration Regulations require that only ONE online class per term can be used to count toward the minimum number of credits needed for full-time enrollment.

If you only need 1 course to complete your program of study, the course cannot be online or distance learning.

Please make sure you are in compliance with the full-time enrollment requirement. Failure to follow these regulations will affect and possibly end your immigration status. Please contact ISP if you have any questions.

Exceptions to Full-Time Enrollment

RCL is allowed if the requirements for your degree can be completed with fewer courses.   

For all above scenarios, students must get permission from an international student advisor so that the authorization can be noted in SEVIS

Students must be aware of and comply fully with the following:   

  1. Obey all U.S. laws.   
  2. Check your UWG email daily. You can forward your UWG emails to another email address.   
  3. Maintain a valid passport at all times, unless exempt from passport requirements.   
  4. Maintain a valid I-20 or DS-2019 at all times. This includes correct level and major, current funding and correct personal data.   
  5. Check that you are in possession of a valid visa, passport, and I-20/DS-2019 form with up-to-date travel signature ISP if you plan to travel outside the U.S. In the case of sponsored students, obtain your travel signature from ISP.  
  6. Update your U.S. mailing address in BANWEB when you move. Your address must be a street or residence hall address, and cannot be an off campus Post Office Box. Any updates to your U.S. mailing address will be sent to SEVIS.
  7. Report changes to your home country address to ISP.   
  8. Report changes of visa status and/or personal information with appropriate documentation to ISP.   
  9. Submit the Dependent I-20/DS-2019 Request Form and additional documents as needed if you wish to add dependents to your I-20 or DS-2019.   
  10. Request a change to your graduation date prior to your current end date on your I-20/DS-2019.        

11. On campus employment.       

12. Obtain appropriate work authorization prior to working off-campus.   

13. The grace period to remain in the U.S. following degree/program completion is 60 days for F-1 students and 30 days for J-1 students.   

14. Submit the Transfer Out Form if you plan to enroll at another U.S. educational institution.   

15. Enroll and attend classes during your course of study.   

16. Enroll and maintain a full course of study during academic terms (fall & spring) per immigration regulations. Please see the Maintaining Status/Enrollment and Exceptions to Full-Time Enrollment. Enroll as a full time student by Add/Drop at the beginning of each academic term.   

17. Consult ISP first if you are planning to withdraw or change to audit credits as this may put you below full time.  Repeat course credits do not count towards your full time status.   

18. ONLY one (1) online course per term is allowed toward your full time status.   

19. Report to ISP if your student status has been discontinued for any reason.