HOW TO APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
Who is eligible to apply? Generally speaking, social security numbers are available to F-1students after they have an offer of employment that meets the SSA standards and have obtained an original employer's letter.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY
*Attention: Original visa documents are required for the application process.
1. Completed application. Form SS-5 http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf
Note: On #5 Citizenship, on the SS-5 form, check off “Legal Alien Allowed to Work”
2. Copy of your passport page with validity dates and signature*
3. [All other documents based on your visa type-please see below.]
a. F-1 visa holders must also have:
- Copy of current I-20*
- Valid F-1 visa page in passport*
- Entry stamp indicating your date of entry and F-1 visa (usually stamped near your F-1 visa page)*