Student UWG Email
Every student at UWG is automatically provided with a free web-based email account and free personal webspace. Your email address is made up of your MyUWG username followed by "@my.westga.edu." For example, "firstname.lastname@example.org." The quota on your email account is 50MB and the single file attachment size limit is 10MB. For more information regarding your free personal webspace, select "Web Publishing" from the menu on the right.
Basic Email Information
Easy access to your email is provided through the web simply by logging into MyUWG. Once logged in, simply click the e-mail icon located in the main navigation bar (above the page tabs). The E-mail Center opens displaying a list of any messages that you may have.
You can also access your email account by setting up an IMAP email client as described below:
- User ID: Your user id is the part of your email address that precedes the "@" sign. This will be provided to you during Orientation or by the Registrars office.
- Password/PIN: An 8 character combination of letters and numbers or special characters. It must include at least 1 number, 1 special character and at least 2 alpha characters. Your initial password is your default Banner PIN. You are required to change your password on first login, after a Password Recovery and after a PIN reset, to discourage misuse of your student account.
- Used For: myUWG, Email, Wireless Access, Web Publishing (SFTP)
- Email Access: myUWG or an IMAP (mobile) client
Mobile/IMAP Access Information
Mobile (IMAP) access is available for students to their myUWG email. SSL (Secure Socket Layer) security is enforced so that passwords are not in the clear when accessing email from mobile clients. If you would like to bypass using your ISP when traveling, you may configure your mobile-device or email client to use myUWG's outgoing SMTP server (see below), but it requires you to re-authenticate each session. This is to ensure only UWG students and staff send email thru our system and to defeat spam attacks. Note: The names and passwords referenced below are the same you use to access myUWG, another reason to change your password regularly !
Please note: most Mobile devices and Email Clients create their own folders for Sent mail and Deleted mail. These folders are usually not the same as the system folders known by the myUWG email server, hence :
- these folders are not visible in the myUWG email client unless you Subscribe to them (see menu)
- they do not get cleaned out as frequently as the system managed folders
- in the case of non-system Sent Messages, not at all.
It is the responsibility of the user to regularly cleanout your "Mobile" Sent and Trash folders. Failure to do so will result in an OverQuota mailbox and you will miss receiving or sending important messages.
Basic Information for most mail clients is as follows; Detailed configuration information for popular mobile-devices and mail-clients is in the sidebar menu.
|Server Type||set to IMAP||no POP access at this time.|
|User Information||your myUWG email email@example.com|
|Incoming Server||my.westga.edu||set use SSL: ensure the Port is 993|
|Outgoing Server||my.westga.edu||set use SSL|
|Logon information||your myUWG username (without the @my.westga.edu)||usernam1|
|Advanced Server or More Settings||find the Outgoing Server - Advanced Settings||look for SMTP|
|SMTP||My Outgoing Server requires Authentication = yes||ensure the Port is 465|
How long does my email remain active after I graduate?
Your email account remains active for six (6) months after you graduate. After six months, your account is deactivated.