Microsoft Outlook Express
Setting up Microsoft Outlook Express with SSL-IMAP
This page is based on Outlook Express 6 (6.00.2900.2180)
Note that this page does not describe setting up outlook for use with the UWG faculty-staff email server. For that, click here.
- Go to the Tools menu and click on Accounts...
- Click on the Mail tab.
- Click on the Add button and choose Mail
- Enter your name, click Next
- Enter your email address, click Next
- Under User Information, fill in your real name and your email address in the form firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Under Server Information fill in my.westga.edu.
- Under Outgoing mail server, fill in the name of the outgoing mail server, my.westga.edu
- Click Next
- Enter your username as the Account name. This is the username that you use to log in to the system that you're using as your IMAP server.
- You may enter your password if you wish, but it is not required. If you don't enter your password here, you will be prompted for it when you check email.
- Make sure that Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is not checked.
- Click Finish
- Highlight the account that you just created, and click Properties
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- For Outgoing mail(SMTP), check the box that says This server requires a secure connection. The default port of 25 is NOT correct. Set this to port 465 instead.
- For Incoming mail(IMAP), check the box that says This server requires a secure connection. The default port of 993 is correct.
- Click Apply.
- Click on the Servers tab.
- Under Outgoing mail server, Click on the My server requires authentication checkbox.
- Click the Settings... button.
- You may enter your password if you wish, but it is not required. If you don't enter your password here, you will be prompted for it when you send email.
- Click OK
- Click Close
That's it. You should be ready to go.