Irvine Sullivan Ingram Library
As the academic heart of the campus, Ingram Library provides online and in-house collections and services to meet curricular needs. The four story building of some 85,000 square feet is open 24 hours a day from Sunday afternoons through Friday evenings, and during the day on Saturday. The main floor of the library is designed for individual and group study, and features areas for group project development. A full-service Starbucks, entered on the west side of the library, faces Love Valley and the Campus Center. The library facility contains electronic classrooms, conference rooms, small group study rooms, and computers and other equipment for accessing materials retained in print, online, recorded, and micro formats.
Wireless access to internet resources is available throughout the building. Student Technology Assistants are on duty at all hours to help patrons with technology- related needs, and with laptops and other equipment available for student check-out for in-house use. Individuals seeking assistance with library resources and research needs can utilize reference services at the reference desk on the main floor of the library, via telephone, and through the online QuestionPoint 24/7 chat reference service available through the library web site. Individuals may book appointments with librarians through the GoPRO (Personalized Research Option) to explore resources to support their research.
Library collections include some 400,000 cataloged volumes, over 1,100,000 microforms, over 11,000 audiovisual items, and more than 20,000 maps and charts. The library provides access to some 400 electronic databases and some 50,000 print and electronic serials, including magazines, scholarly journals, and newspapers. As a selective depository for federal documents, the library houses an extensive collection of United States government publications and provides access to government information available in online and other electronic formats.
The library participates in state and regional consortia, facilitating extensive access to the collective resources of university system and other libraries. The library catalog, provided through Georgia Interconnected Libraries (GIL), lists materials available in Ingram Library collections, and provides links to catalogs of other libraries. West Georgia students, faculty, and staff may request books from any university system library through the online GIL Express service, a feature of the universal catalog, and they also have check out privileges when visiting system libraries. In addition, the University of West Georgia is a member of the Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education (ARCHE), which allows students, faculty and staff to utilize the resources of member libraries. Ingram Library provides interlibrary loan service through its web site, facilitating the borrowing of books from libraries throughout the country. Articles requested through interlibrary loan are transmitted to patrons electronically.
Library users have access to Georgia Library Learning Online (GALILEO), an online library of databases, full text electronic journals, and reference resources available to all Georgians, as well as to an extensive range of electronic materials selected to support the university’s academic programs. All licensed electronic materials are available to university students and faculty through any computer with internet access. By providing access to an extensive range of online materials, developing an electronic reserve system and online request systems for obtaining materials from other libraries, the library ensures that students enrolled at the university’s remote class sites and in online courses are afforded the same level of library support as those who attend classes on the Carrollton campus. Fax and courier services to off campus class sites, and arrangements with libraries in Newnan and other locations also support off campus students.
The library pursues an aggressive instruction program. LIBR 1101, a for-credit course which is part of Area B of the Core curriculum, is taught as a face to face class, or students may register for online sections of the course. LIBR 1101 is designed to orient students to doing research in academic libraries and to critically evaluating information and media resources. Library instruction sessions tailored to specific assignments are developed for undergraduate and graduate courses at the request of faculty.
The library is named in honor of Irvine Sullivan Ingram, the institution’s first president. The glass enclosed lobby overlooks a study garden designed in honor of Maurice Townsend, fifth president of the university, and the Thomas B. Murphy Reading Room, which honors Georgia’s longest-serving House speaker. Speaker Murphy’s State Capitol office was re-created on the library’s ground floor to honor his service to the state. The Murphy office installation is supported with panel and digital exhibits exploring Georgia history from the Depression era through the twenty-first century.
The library’s Annie Belle Weaver Special Collections provides access to information about the history of the university and the geographic area it serves. Photographs, family histories, and other materials associated with the west Georgia region are included in Special Collections, as are materials on sacred harp music and American psalmody.
A special effort is being made to acquire the manuscript collections of individuals who have represented the region in state or national legislative bodies. One of the most notable collections is that associated with Georgia’s Political Heritage Program, begun by university faculty in 1985. The collection includes taped interviews with state and national leaders, among them most of Georgia’s post- World War II governors, U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young, U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Georgia House Speaker Tom Murphy. Senator Herman Talmadge was the first interview subject for the program. The Talmadge collection is particularly significant as it includes some thirty-five interviews taped between 1985 and 1995 as well as interviews with his staff and some of his supporters. Special Collections is joined by the Department of History’s Center for Public History and the Department of Political Science & Planning’s Thomas B. Murphy Center for Public Service, which maintain offices and student work space on the library’s ground floor to support the university’s Center for Civic Engagement.
Ingram Library’s Penelope Melson Society, the library’s friends organization, was founded during the library’s centennial in 2008. The Society supports author visits, presentations by scholars, book discussions, nationally-touring exhibits, exhibit talks, and docent-led tours of exhibits for groups. Members of the Melson Society founded the Second Century Collection to extend library collections. Penelope Stevens Melson, 1879-1969, wife of John Holland Nelson, first principal of the Fourth District Agricultural & Mechanical School, the predecessor of the University of West Georgia, founded the institution’s first library in 1908 and volunteered as its librarian until the couple moved to Hogansville, Georgia in 1920. Mrs. Melson’s service as a community leader who secured educational and training opportunities for the less fortunate provides inspiration for the ongoing development of the library she founded.
Thomas B. Murphy Holocaust Teacher Training and Resource Center The Thomas B. Murphy Holocaust Teacher Education Training and Resource Center, administered by the Georgia Commission on the Holocaust and located on the second floor of Ingram Library, is the only Holocaust center in the United States devoted to teacher training located in a state- supported institution’s library. With the study of the Holocaust as a catalyst, the Center encourages and supports human understanding and dignity by developing programs to open minds and hearts to the appreciation of all of humankind. The Center’s multimedia resource collection includes books, videotapes, archival, and electronic materials augmented by resources available within the collections of Ingram Library. Working collaboratively with academic departments and area organizations, the Center provides curriculum development assistance, teacher conferences, staff development seminars, exhibits, and other programs.