The preproposal phase begins with a faculty or staff member's scholarly/creative agenda. To better assist you and to create the highest quality proposal it is ideal that you notify the Pre-Award Services Specialist before you have a specific project in mind. Identifying how external funding can further one's goals is just the beginning. If any part of your agenda contains the question "If I only had more (equipment, time, staff support, supplies etc.)" we may be able to help.
- Help focus you agenda into a realistic and manageable "project" with a reasonable chance for external funding
- Examine your credentials and experience to both help find a fit with funding agencies and identify activities you may want to pursue before seeking external funding
- Aggressively search for appropriate funding opportunities
- Identify possible collaborators and/or consultants whose involvement may strengthen your proposal
- Help establish a realistic time line for proposal writing and submission