Preparing a proposal for submission is marketing your idea and skills to an agency who is looking for someone to help further their goals and priorities within the level of support they are making available. At the outset, it is always necessary to answer the following questions:
- What problem am I addressing?
- Why is it a problem?
- Is anyone else currently researching the problem?
- Why are current efforts inadequate?
- What are some suggested alternatives?
- What are the implications of these proposed alternatives?
- What is different about these proposed alternatives?
- What is the purpose of the proposed project?
- Does the project meet the needs of the target agency?
- Help frame answers to the above questions
- Facilitate communication between the investigator and the funding agency
- Monitor compliance with both the funding agency and university
- Help construct a realistic budget
- Provide editorial and design assistance