Political Science Club
Chartered in 1998, the UWG Political Science Club has become an active campus organization. The club meets once every two weeks in order to discuss current political issues, and they also hold on-campus events with political candidates on both sides of the aisle. In the Spring of 2013, the club took several UWG students to the Georgia State Capitol to see their local legislators at work. Students were able to watch both the House and Senate’s sessions. Students also had the opportunity to meet with legislators. In April of 2013, the Political Science Club will be heading to a soup kitchen in Atlanta to help out those in need. In the past, the club has sponsored several different types of events such as having Atlanta Journal Constitution columnist Jay Bookman speak at the university and hosting a Congressional Candidate forum in 2010.
• Meetings are on every other Tuesday at 4:15 pm in the Political Science Lounge (Pafford 118)
• Membership is currently free and all students are welcome to join no matter what their major is.
• Free food is provided at every meeting!
• Meetings consist of a short introduction to a topic via PowerPoint and then discussion. We encourage as many different viewpoints as possible, so please come to the next meeting so we can hear yours!
- Tuesday, March 12 – Topic: “Repercussions of the Sequester: What happens now?”
- Tuesday, March 26 – Topic: “Immigration: How does the current system actually work and what can be improved?”
- Tuesday, April 9 – Topic: “Next Year: What do you want from the Poli Sci Club?” + Discuss next year’s planned events and the new officers.
- All of the officers’ emails are listed below. If you have any questions feel free to contact either the President or the Vice President, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/uwgpolisci -- Like the page to receive updates regarding meetings, planned events, guest speakers, and to discuss what future topics we should choose for meetings. PowerPoints from past meetings will also be put up on the page as well.
OFFICERS: Spring 2013
President * Brian Heinze
Vice President * Barbara Kalley
Treasurer/ Communications * Lauren "Lula" Rhodes