Integrative Health Studies Certificate
The mission of the Integrative Health Studies (IHS) Certification is to facilitate the development of leadership in Integrative Health by providing solid theoretical foundation in integrative health and introduction to the latest practices of integrative health in the U.S.
Integrative Health is one of the fastest growing areas in the health industry. Combining the strengths of conventional and alternative systems of healing, Integrative Health is an exciting field for students preparing for a health care license as well as health care professionals who are already licensed.
Integrative Health is one of the fastest growing areas in health care, yet there are very few higher education options for students wishing to enter the field of holistic or alternative medicine. The UWG psychology department teamed up with noted experts and key leaders in alternative and holistic medicine to develop the Integrative Health Studies Certificate program, a new pathway for learning in this growing area of medicine.
Combining the strengths of conventional and alternative systems of healing, integrative health is an exciting field for students preparing for clinical licensure as well as health care professionals who are already licensed. The mission of the Integrative Health Studies (IHS) Certification is to facilitate the development of leadership in integrative health by providing a solid theoretical foundation and an introduction to best practices of mind-body medicine.
This program is designed for current master's program students, alternative/holistic health practitioners, nontraditional learners and other students seeking to enter the field of mind-body medicine with a broader knowledge base. Currently enrolled students include master's degree candidates, professional counselors, and healing professionals from a variety of practice areas such as licensed massage therapists, wellness coaches, nutritionists, fitness instructors and practitioners of body-centered healing therapies.
Some students choose to pursue the IHS certificate in tandem with a master's degree, and the flexible list of electives makes this entirely feasible. Other students may elect to obtain only the IHS certificate without obtaining a master's degree.
Students seeking admission to the Integrative Health Studies certificate program must have earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. Special consideration may be given to alternative health practitioners with career experience in integrative health who are seeking to further their studies in the field. The admission process for the IHS certificate program is separate from, and independent of, admission to the master's program. To apply for admission to the IHS certificate program:
- Complete and application for admission
- Pay the non-refundable $30.00 application fee (one time only) directly to the UWG Admissions Office.
- Submit one official transcript from each college or university attended directly to the UWG Admissions Office.
- New Students must complete and return a satisfactory certificate of immunization to the UWG Health Services Office.
- Have a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA (4.0 scale)
- Academic Honor Form (Send to the College of Social Sciences, Room 336, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, Georgia 30118-4160)
- Answer the following prompt:
Tell us about your interests in wanting to obtain a certificate in Integrative Health Studies. How do you see the value of an Integrative Health Studies certificate in you professional goal?
- Horizon Seminar: Introduction to Integrative Health Studies
- Horizon Seminar: Trends in Integrative Health (Prerequisite: Introduction to Integrative Health Studies)
- Horizon Seminar: Final Culminating Seminar (Prerequisites: Introduction to Integrative Health, Trends in Integrative Health Studies, and four approved elective courses.
Approved Elective Course List
Below are acceptable electives - others will be permitted with consent of the director of the integrative health studies program.
Horizon Seminar: Tao of Healing
Horizon Seminar: Integrative Mental Health
Psychology of Mind/Body
Psychology of Dreams
Human Growth and Potential
Values, Meaning and Spirituality
Music and the Mind
Eastern and Transpersonal Psychology
Practicum: Experience in Human Services (Integrative Health Services)
Biology of Aging
Health Care Delivery Systems
Foundations of Nutrition
Sociology of Mental Health/Illness
Body and Society
Sociology of Emotions