Apply for the Program
Th Museum Studies Certificate program admits individuals who are currently enrolled in a graduate program or those who already hold an M.A. degree. We seek those who have graduate-level expertise in an academic field in which they would like to curate or work. While most of our students specialize in history or a closely-related discipline, we also admit students with proficiency in other academic fields appropriate for museum work.
Students enrolled as MA students at West Georgia: Students who are currently enrolled in the MA program may take courses that count for the Public History and Museum Studies Certificates as part of the public history concentration in the M.A. degree, but they may need to take one or two additional classes to complete the Certificate requirements. If students complete the Certificate after earning their M.A. degree, they will need to write a letter to the Graduate School to indicate that they wish to add the Public History or Museum Studies Certificate before enrolling to complete these classes. They will not be required to submit any additional reference letters, GRE scores, transcripts, or other application materials.
For individuals who already possess an M.A. degree: Individuals holding an M.A. degree in history or a related field may apply for the Public History Certificate or Museum Studies Certificate. Those with a field outside of history but an M.A. in an academic area they hope to curate (e.g. art history, anthropology, or archaeology) may apply for the Museum Studies Certificate.
The program is also open to students pursuing an M.A. degree at another college or university.
All potential graduate students for a certificate in Public History or Museum Studies, besides those currently enrolled in the M.A. program at UWG, must complete and submit the following to the Graduate School:
- A graduate application, available on-line at www.westga.edu/~gradsch/admis/index.html
- A one- to two-page essay that describes the student's background and interests in pursuing the Certificate program
- A transcript of his or her graduate and undergraduate degrees
- GRE scores (from when they applied for their original MA degree). Students do not need to retake the GRE for admission to the Certificate program.
- Three letters of recommendation. At least one of the letters should be written by someone who can evaluate his or her expertise in the research field and one should be from someone who can evaluate the potential student's work skills and abilities, ideally in a field related to museum work
- $20 non-refundable application fee
For more information on the program
For more information on the Museum Studies Program, please contact Dr. Ann McCleary, History Department, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA 30118, 678-839-6041
For more information on the Atlanta History Center, please visit their website.