Residence Hall Break Closing Information
The University of West Georgia will close all residence halls, with the exception of Arbor View Apartments, University Suites, Greek Village and Tyus Hall for Winter break at 6PM on Friday, December 9, 2011. All residence halls will be closed and ID Card systems will be deactivated during the break. Students are asked to leave following their last final exam of the semester. The residence halls will reopen at 3PM Sunday, January 8, 2012.
Please Note: NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED TO REMAIN OR BE READMITTED TO THE HALLS DURING THIS TIME PERIOD. The residence hall staff will not be available to permit re-entry into the residence halls after the closing periods as defined above.
The University recognizes that some students must remain on campus during scheduled break periods. If you have extenuating circumstances that require you to remain on campus during all or any part of break periods as defined above, you are required to complete a Break Stay Request Form. Please note that if your request is approved, you will be billed ($26) nightly for any days that you stay on campus during the break. Requests to stay late must be received by December 2 (for Winter Break) to be processed. In addition, you may be required to move to a temporary housing location during the break period. Requests received after December 2 (for Winter Break) will incur an additional $25 processing fee.
Residence Life staff will enter student rooms over break to secure buildings.
1. All residents must complete the following procedures before leaving. Rooms will be checked by the residence hall staff to ensure that these steps have been completed:
- Remove all perishable food.
- Completely empty all trashcans.
- Close pull blinds halfway.
- Close and securely latch windows, turn lights out, and lock door.
- Unplug all electrical appliances/items and check that no outlets are overloaded.
The University assumes no responsibility for any consequences of failure to carry out these procedures.
2. Residents are not required to move their possessions out of the halls; however, residents should take all valuables (i.e. medications, travel documents, coursework, etc) needed during spring break with them when they leave. NO RE-ENTRY WILL BE PERMITTED DURING BREAK PERIODS.
3. The University cannot be responsible for theft or damage to any items left in student rooms during the break period. Students are urged to make special provisions for the security of valuable items. It is advisable for all residents to have personal property insurance.
4. Residents are advised that any necessary maintenance and/or custodial services will continue to be performed during the break period.
5. Food service is not available during the break.
Security and Safety Tips
If you are staying on campus during break (Arbor View, University Suites, Greek Village and Tyus Hall residents), we suggest that you take the following precautions for your personal safety:
- Lock your door at all times, regardless of whether you are in or out.
- Report all suspicious people and suspicious activity to University Police @ 678-839-6000.
- Read all security notices posted in your building and on campus.
- Do not leave valuables in your room; if possible take them with you.
All parking rules are enforced during the break.
If you have any question about this material, please feel free to contact a Housing and Residence Life staff member in your building, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (678) 839-6426.