Frank Butts, Ed. D.
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Phone: 678-839-6530 | Fax: 678-839-6195
Office: Coliseum 2030
Dr. Frank Butts came to the University of West Georgia in August 2005 as an Assistant Professor in Health, Physical Education, Sport Studies. He brought 30 years of professional experience including stops at the University of Mississippi, Baylor University (tenured & promoted), University of South Alabama (tenured and promoted), and private business in Texas. Dr. Butts was tenured and promoted at the University of West Georgia and then appointed Chair of Leadership & Instruction in August 2010. He has his Ed. D. from the University of Georgia.
- B.S., Biology, Carson-Newman College, 1975
- M.S., Physical Education, East Tennessee State Univ., 1976
- Ed.D., College of Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, University of Georgia, 1980
- SPMG-3661 (Sociology of Sport) [ View Syllabus ]
- Comparing Student Engagement in Online and Face-to-Face Instruction in Health and Physical Education Teacher Preparation. This is a joint publication with B. Heidorn and B. Mosier accepted for publication in the June, 2013 issue. [ View Publication ]
- Butts, F. (2008). NCAA athletes and Facebook. The Sport Journal, 11(1). The use of Facebook and other social networks used by the majority of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) athletes has come under intense scrutiny from college officials i [ View Publication ]
- Butts, F. (2009). Evaluation of hybrid online instruction in sport management. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 12(3).The movement toward hybrid, online courses continues to grow in higher education in general and in sport management cu [ View Publication ]
- Butts, F. (2009). A study of alcohol responsibility among college athletes. The Sport Journal, 12(3). This study examined alcohol related behaviors among college athletes and the impact of a one year, alcohol responsibility intervention program on report [ View Publication ]
- Butts, F. (2006). A study of gambling activity in a NCAA Division II institution. The Sport Journal, 19(3). NCAA Choices 3 year grant 2007-2010, Projector Director of UWG Team to write and manage grant. Awarded $30,000 grant in May, 2007 to implement a 3 [ View Publication ]