Dr. Julia S. Chibbaro is an Associate Professor of Professional Counseling in the College of Education. She teaches graduate courses in the areas of Professional School Counseling and Professional Community Counseling. Her research focuses on interventions for school counselors and implications of knowledge in various areas in the practice of school counseling. Prior to her appointment at UWG, Dr. Chibbaro worked as a professional school counselor in both the public school system and the juvenile justice system. In addition, she worked as a clinical counselor serving the needs of persons diagnosed with acute mental illness and persons diagnosed with chronic mental illness. She has served as an adjunct professor at The Citadel, Charleston, SC and Webster University, Columbia, SC.
- B.A., Psychology, Randolph-Macon Woman's College, 1978
- M.Ed., Clinical Counseling, The Citadel, 1982
- Ed.S., Counselor Education, University of South Carolina, 1989
- Ph.D., Counselor Education and Supervision, University of South Carolina, 1997
Courses and Sections
- CEPD-6160 (Group Counseling)
- CEPD-6180 (Professional School Counselor)
- CEPD-6182 (Internship: Prof Counseling)
- CEPD-6188 (Practicum: Prof Counseling)
- CEPD-7136 (Play Therapy)
- CEPD-8140 (Advanced Group Counseling)
- CEPD-8141 (Clinical Supervisn Counseling)
- CEPD-9199 (Dissertation)
- EDSI-9998 (Research for Doc Dissertation)
Fall 2013 Sections
- Exploring puppetry as a treatment option with children and adolescents following exposure to a traumatic event [View Publication]
- Integrating sand tray and solution focused brief counseling as a model for working with middle school students [View Publication]
- Research in brief: School counseling production in universities in the southeast [View Publication]
- Chibbaro, J.S. & Sebera, K.E. (2009). Basic counseling skills. In B.T. Erford et al. (Eds.), The ACA Encyclopedia of Counseling (pp. 127-129). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Chibbaro, J.S. (2009). Advocacy counseling. In B.T. Erford et al (Eds.), The ACA Encyclopedia of Counseling (pp. 10-11). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Chibbaro, J.S. (2007). , Helping parents cope with adolescents who self-injure: Strategies for school counselors. Georgia School Counselors Association Journal, 24-29. [View Publication]
- Chibbaro, J.S. (2007).School counselors and the cyberbully: Interventions and implications. Professional School Counseling, 111, 65-67. [View Publication]