Dr. Mary Hooper has been on the faculty at the University of West Georgia for seven years. At present Dr. Hooper is serving as both a faculty member and program coordinator in the area of Educational Leadership. She also serves as the Director of ULead West Georgia, a research and development initiative that was initially funded by the Wallace Foundation in partnership with Gwinnett County Public Schools.ULead West Georgia focuses on innovations in performance-based preparation of educational leaders and the development of professional learning models to support systemic school improvement initiatives.
As a scholar, Dr. Hooper maintains a commitment to applied research in the context of well developed partnerships with educational and other public service institutions. Her research agenda, grounded in the field of Human Resource Development , focused on the development of competency models for improving individual and organizational performance. Most recently, Dr. Hooper led the development and initial validation of the ULead School Leadership Preparation Competency Model. Other applied research initiatives completed in the past five years have included establishing models for effective feedback, designing organizational assessments for use in schools and school districts, development of training programs for local school boards. Presently, Dr. Hooper is engaged in a project related to leadership selection processes and establishing clearly defined systems to support new and developing school leaders.
Mary began her career in public education as a middle school teacher in 1988 and has worked as a school level leader, at the state department level in the area of teacher evaluation and professional development and as a district leader in a variety of roles related to School Improvement and Human Resources. Hooper earned her Ph.D. in Human Resource and Organizational Development at Georgia State University in Atlanta in 2004.
Mary is married to Duane Hooper and the mother Randy and Megan Hooper.
- B.A., Elementary Education, University of Florida, 1987
- M.Ed., Elementary and Middle School Education, University of Florida, 1988
- Ph.D., Human Resource Management, Georgia State University, 2004
- Hooper, M.A., Bullard, M.H., & Ogletree, T. (2012, May). ULead School Leadership Preparation Competency Model. New York: The Wallace Foundation Principal Pipeline Learning Community.
- Hooper, M., & Heidorn, B. (2012). Comprehensive school physical activity programs: Preparing leaders to implement strategies that support conditions for change. The Journal of Teaching, Learning and Research in Educational Leadership, 2,1. http://www.gelfa
- [View Publication]
Courses and Sections
- EDLE-7385 (Ldrshp for Improving Schools)
- EDLE-8313 (Leadership Improving Schools)
- EDLE-8314 (Local School Leadership)
- EDSI-9998 (Research for Doc Dissertation)