Travel Home at The University of West Georgia
University of West Georgia
- When a fleet vehicle is not available and it is determined that a personal motor vehicle is the least expensive form of travel, the employee will be reimbursed for business miles traveled based on the applicable GSA Tier 1 Rate.
- If a fleet vehicle is available, but a personal motor vehicle is used, the employee will be reimbursed for business miles based on the applicable GSA Tier 2 Rate.
- If another method of travel is the most cost advantageous form of travel but a personal motor vehicle is used, the employee will be reimbursed at the Tier 2 rate. If traveler has a business need to drive his/her own personal vehicle, written pre-approval by the Department Manager is required for reimbursement at the Tier 1 rate.
- Traveler must also deduct personal or normal round-trip or one-way commute miles. If round trip miles are entered on one expense line, documentation must be submitted as to the places visited during the trip.
- A University wide cost comparison is calculated on a semi-annual basis which allows reimbursement at the Tier 1 rate under certain circumstances.
- Under 220 miles-traveler may utilize personal car and claim Tier 1 mileage reimbursement without any individual cost comparison.
- 220-300 miles-traveler may utilize a personal car and claim Tier 1 mileage assuming a fleet vehicle is not available. Documentation of this determination should be maintained by the department for audit purposes.